🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How it will be a company?

Started by
6 comments, last by blueshogun96 9 years, 3 months ago
Hi guys,

I have a dream: I'm going to create an MMO strategy game! smile.png

It is a semi turn-based MMO strategy game, inspired by, but not following by the classic games of the genre, such as Age of Empires, Civilization and Rise of Nations. I started working on my game on spring of 2014. I researched the "good enough" architecture based on cutting edge technologies and industrial best practices, it is scalable vertically (better and bigger hardware) and horizontally (more hardware). I deployed it on cloud, I bought a domain name and SSL certifications, so I spent only a little more than $120 on this project...

...and I started the public test phase of the game a half year ago. Now the game have over ten thousands Android installations, over a thousand active users, over a hundred very-very active users and it works on Android phones, on my website and it have a desktop application too.

So, it is too little to start a company but it is too big to handle it as hobby project. Any idea? smile.png

Some useful links:
- the hardware and software architecture: http://prezi.javaforum.hu/gacivs-devop/
- the portal: https://portal.gacivs.info/
- the test website: https://test.gacivs.info/frontend/
- the Android application: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.gacivs.android.test

Bye,
Gábor Auth
Advertisement

What exactly is the question? If it is the right time to incorporate your own company? Or if it is too early?

Also, I do take a little bit of offence with your first sentence if the rest of what you wrote is true: it ain't your dream any longer, it is reality. Congrats on that! smile.png

What exactly is the question? If it is the right time to incorporate your own company? Or if it is too early?

Hm... this is a hobby project at the moment (not a full-time job) and I don't know what is the right development phase of the game and/or what is the enough number of the active players to go live and establish the company... and I think some of you guys has experiences about it. smile.png

Also, I do take a little bit of offence with your first sentence if the rest of what you wrote is true: it ain't your dream any longer, it is reality. Congrats on that! smile.png

Yes, it is more than a dream, it will be a never-ending-story... I have lot of idea about this game... smile.png

this is a hobby project at the moment (not a full-time job) and I don't know what is the right development phase of the game and/or what is the enough number of the active players to go live and establish the company...

Whether you establish a company or not, if the game makes money (or costs money), you should report you should report the income (or loss) on your taxes. If the game is going to make a lot of money, then it might be wise to establish a company. You should consult an attorney and/or accountant if there's a lot of money at issue.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

To add to what Tom said above, AFAIK in most countries it is possible to create "limited liability company"... it might cost you more to incorporate than a simpler company type, but it will shield your private wealth from being used to cover your companys debt, if the company happens to go bankrupt.

You still might be held accountable, but at least it is not as easy to get ahold of your private money for your potential future creditors than if you didn't had such a company construct in place.

Also, you can go bankrupt with your company without having to go into "private bankruptcy" (whatever that is called in english)... which could have a great impact on you private life in the future, much more than the repercussions you would have to live with if just your company went bankrupt (you will still have to pay some money to your creditors, you still might have "a bad name" with some people... but at least not everyone can see your bankruptcy without even having to look up your old company first).

Of course, I am no laywer, and most probably living in a completly different part of the world, so yes, follow Toms suggestion and seek out a local professionals opinion on the matter.

@Gian-Reto:
His country seems to be Hungary. I also just found a list of private limited company types for different countries. For Hungary, it seems to be korlátolt felel?sség? társaság, but I can't say for sure. At least, the Wikipedia entry looks promising...

-----

Szía Gábor, hogy vagy?

Geri igaza van. A szofverfejleszto"égek elhagyják Magyarországot, mert az adók túl magasak. sad.png

Minden magyarnak sikeresnek kell lennie! smile.png

Shogun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement