🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sound Design Project Help

Started by
9 comments, last by carameeze 9 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys! I am currently finishing off my degree in Audio Production and I have decided to do a project based around post-production work. The idea is to record my own sample library and put it on a website to potentially sell. The focus is to see if by using community engagement and networking is a viable way to market the website. Which brings me here..
I have two things I'd love help with.
1) I have been recording many things over the past couple of weeks, but what to you guys would be some 'core' sounds to include in a sample pack?
2) I would be forever appreciative if everybody could go to my site http://www.samplefolk.com/survey and fill out my 10 question product research survey.
The survey is to also gauge public interest in the networking side of things as part of my 'product' I have to present. The product is not only the sample library but also the website. So any responses would mean to world to me and help me finish this report!
Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

I've purchased around 60 SFX libraries over the years and I've done a ton of foley work myself.

What I'm always looking for from a library is variety, quality, and embedded metadata.

They need to be recorded in a sound-proofed room so there is no ambient sound and/or reflections.

You need a lot of variations of each effect. So it's not just 'light switch' but 'light switch fast' and 'light switch close'.

The Soundminer metadata is also a must. What's the point of having a SFX library is you can't find what you're looking for. Various key descriptions of each effect really help you find what you need in post production work.

As for what the effects should be, it can really be anything. Footsteps, machinery, crowd reactions (walla), ambiance, animal noises, even the sounds of various office chairs. Really anything you can think of there is a use for.

[attachment=24658:SFX Search.png]

I like what Boom does the most. Having a library made around a general theme then have one part that is really already pre designed sounds and one part that is just the "raw" recordings.

Then I use mostly the "raw" stuff but the designed stuff gives ideas.

And obviously they have a kickass quality although their files in 192kHz seems a bit over the top to me, I do like 96kHz the best, but whatever.

Ah thanks for the feedback guys!

I gotta tell ya, now that I've started recording various things, I am always looking around and thinking "hmmmm, I wonder what that would sound like," or "what could I do with that noise." I wish I had an awesome set up with whiz bang gear and a studio, but for the time being I have my portable recorder, will look at an audio interface soon also. But this is good as it will allow me not to just rely on top notch hardware, it will allow me to practice and use what I have to produce the best thing and learn from the bottom.

CCH - The variety aspect is very important I must admit. From what I have done, everytime I try and do as many takes in as many different ways that I can think of. I see the huge amount of different light switch takes, even though you think of it just being a light switch, the need to match the end users different contexts is important. Makes the collection more versatile. 60 SFX libraries? That's a huge amount, jealous! Are they used a lot? Yeah, I can imagine how important the metadata would be, don't want to waste time.

Valoon - I do like the idea of the "raw" recordings, as it would give the end user more control over it to match what they need to do. I have been doing some in 96kHz but also some in 48kHz as that's what a majority of people have asked for.

Another thing, at what dB level should the mastered/finished samples be at? What would be the norm?

Thanks.

I think it' the best to do one 96k version and one 48k. Boom does it but with 192k instead of 96k a least for some.

I don't really know about dB level. When I record sounds, I basically normalize then at the max possible and then I remove 1 dB that's what I am used to do but I only keep it for myself so it's not really a norm.

I am not sure how pros do it but I am pretty confident that for the raw stuff they just normalize it, it's raw so you don't want to touch it too much. For the designed stuff they probably add more effects.

Most SFX are distributed in .wav/.aiff format in which case there is basically no difference between 44.1/24 and 192/24. Most of the difference in what you hear between sample rates above 44.1 take place in frequencies above 20khz. Since we as a species can't hear above 20khz it doesn't make any difference (that's why all EQs stop at 20khz).

This is not to be confused with MP3s or any other compressed audio files in which case there is a big difference between the sample rates.

There's actually a really good article on xiph about this that goes way further into the science of this than I ever could.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

It's true for music or stuff you don't touch much. But the bigger it is the more points of mesure there is on the sound wave, which means you can go crazy on the sound way more than a 44k when you have a 192k because the waveform will be reproduced from the samples way better.

At least that's what I've always been told, and I feel it too.

Most SFX are distributed in .wav/.aiff format in which case there is basically no difference between 44.1/24 and 192/24. Most of the difference in what you hear between sample rates above 44.1 take place in frequencies above 20khz. Since we as a species can't hear above 20khz it doesn't make any difference (that's why all EQs stop at 20khz).

But the bigger it is the more points of mesure there is on the sound wave, which means you can go crazy on the sound way more than a 44k when you have a 192k because the waveform will be reproduced from the samples way better.

Very true! The higher the sampling rate, the better you can do time/pitch shifting (etc) while keeping the sound cleaner.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Ah I see. So pretty much physically there is no difference as we cannot perceive the difference but technically the extra resolution gives a much more clear control over the sample. How about downsampling then, would one like 96kHz be good as it can be halved to 48kHz?

I feel that the conversion from a higher rate to a lower rate will cause more degradation than any benefit you received from the higher sample rate. It's better to work in your final form rather than converting. I'm sure there's disagreement here, and there are pluses and minuses to all the factors, but in the end it just has to sound professional. With that in mind, it's really other factors like your microphone, pre-amp, DA/AD, recording booth, and proper positioning that are going to have to biggest impact on your foley work. Personally I like the Sennheiser 416 it's cheap and great for foley and ADR, a true workhorse of the industry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement