🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Name for an MMO (Browser) Game

Started by
43 comments, last by Unduli 9 years, 4 months ago

Note: The original was "Online Republic" (and some guys cloned it, greatly improving it of course, and that's where they got the eRepublic name) :D

You are looking at it from the wrong angle, I mean, why do you want to associate your game's name with the existing ones? Take a step back to Game Design and think what is the unique part of your game that will differentiate it from the others? Why it is better (might be in subjective way only) than the others?

For example I named my game of this subgenre Europe1300 and moved it to historical setting :) It's obviously superior to eRepublic and others because I have knights and they don't :) And, while it might be not true in absolute sense, a lot of players (history freaks and medieval times freaks) agree it's superior.

Do you really need this theme/period? Maybe go for future? Like "Shadowrun Republic" (if you have the licence, but it might be acquireable) or "Mars Republic" or "Alpha Centauri Republic".

I have doubts (marketing wise) that yet another online republic clone set in modern times could get any attention (or course it might, who knows).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

Note: The original was "Online Republic" (and some guys cloned it, greatly improving it of course, and that's where they got the eRepublic name) biggrin.png

You are looking at it from the wrong angle, I mean, why do you want to associate your game's name with the existing ones? Take a step back to Game Design and think what is the unique part of your game that will differentiate it from the others? Why it is better (might be in subjective way only) than the others?

For example I named my game of this subgenre Europe1300 and moved it to historical setting smile.png It's obviously superior to eRepublic and others because I have knights and they don't smile.png And, while it might be not true in absolute sense, a lot of players (history freaks and medieval times freaks) agree it's superior.

Do you really need this theme/period? Maybe go for future? Like "Shadowrun Republic" (if you have the licence, but it might be acquireable) or "Mars Republic" or "Alpha Centauri Republic".

I have doubts (marketing wise) that yet another online republic clone set in modern times could get any attention (or course it might, who knows).

Well, I didn't know of "Online Republic" tbh, always thought eRep was pioneer.

And I don't want to associate name with current ones (ie follow same naming convention) , this is why I am here :)

Also , game will not be yet another eRep / oRep clone but based on same concept, there is much room for improvement :) . But these improvements doesn't change the core mechanic that you play as someone part of a country which limits options for uniqueness.

And for theme, using modern set makes retention easier imo, relying on their natural fondness for their country rather than imaginary X,Y,Z nations (which WorldAlpha suffered much imo) So there is no "its eRep but in space" etc :)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Of course you can reach the same goal with different theme! I did exactly the same thing with Europe1300. Players do go there driven by nationalism/patriotism (it's just some countries (non europen) are not present, yet Spanish players from Brasil for example go to Navarre/Castille/Aragon, so it's not that bad). You could go for Victorian era, alternative history (still can use ALL real countries here!)

Or at least make some other uniqueness there like PixelRepublic (modern times like all the other games, BUT all graphics/avatars are pixelated cute minecraftish/voxelatish peoplez).

Anyway, I strongly suggest to start with what is unique in the game and then select a name that represents it best.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Of course you can reach the same goal with different theme! I did exactly the same thing with Europe1300. Players do go there driven by nationalism/patriotism (it's just some countries (non europen) are not present, yet Spanish players from Brasil for example go to Navarre/Castille/Aragon, so it's not that bad). You could go for Victorian era, alternative history (still can use ALL real countries here!)

Or at least make some other uniqueness there like PixelRepublic (modern times like all the other games, BUT all graphics/avatars are pixelated cute minecraftish/voxelatish peoplez).

Anyway, I strongly suggest to start with what is unique in the game and then select a name that represents it best.

I see your point, Acharis. But unfortunately I can't pick a quite different theme, best of I can do is 20th century :) (I intend to resemble technology of that era, but not sure yet)

And the unique part of game is it will have primitive but true tilemap , doubt I can mention this at name. ( tileRepublic ? :) , in fact at first (years years ago in another galaxy) I had thought about openRepublik (not as open source but open ended) , but dunno )

And the unique part of game is it will have primitive but true tilemap , doubt I can mention this at name.

I take it then that you're using pixel-art? If so, then what about using the term pixel? Perhaps "PixelState", "PixelRepublic", "State of the Pixels" or "PixelNation"?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

And the unique part of game is it will have primitive but true tilemap , doubt I can mention this at name.

I take it then that you're using pixel-art? If so, then what about using the term pixel? Perhaps "PixelState", "PixelRepublic", "State of the Pixels" or "PixelNation"?

My bad, it will be isometric tilemap, and who knows maybe I switch to WebGL or so 3D in future :) in that case it would be odd to have a 3D game called PixelNation :)

but still maybe there is room for generic words like tiny (TinyTower, tinyDeathStar ... ) , micro , mini etc :) let me check options

Well, names minicracy and microcracy popped up but not sure if they fit theme.

As I think that I said in PM regarding "minicracy", neither flows well for me.

There are some extant terms along those lines--"ministate", "microstate", "minination" and "micronation"--which I feel flow better, but which may not work as a result of being extant terms.

Inspired by Acharis above, what about "PocketState"?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

As I think that I said in PM regarding "minicracy", neither flows well for me.

There are some extant terms along those lines--"ministate", "microstate", "minination" and "micronation"--which I feel flow better, but which may not work as a result of being extant terms.

Inspired by Acharis above, what about "PocketState"?

Problem with PocketState is it more implying that you're controlling a state rather than being a cog in "giant" machine, imo. Actually can stick to word "Republic" as there won't be any other government type but including word republic may sound like a ripoff of eRepublik.

Also I think word "pocket" is superceded by "mobile" , pocket reminds me of times Palm devices and Windows Mobile Pocket PCs

Btw, checked names of abandonwares yesterday but still nothing solid yet :/ Sometimes feel that even "Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom" makes more sense than names I found :)

Maybe these will help with brainstorming. Trying to come up with deliberately out there titles to trigger some creative flood...

"Cog and Control" - perhaps too off topic or metaphorical (you are a cog in this instance)

"Citizen A" - Too predictable?

"Serfstate" - Anachronistic?

"Sovereignty" - Too simple/one wordish?

I hope these might help?

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement