🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need some feedback on game music portfolio

Started by
2 comments, last by kovacsgergelymusic 9 years, 8 months ago

Hi guys!

I'm a young aspiring video game composer and I'd like to have your opinion on my portfolio!

Thx in advance!

Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/kovacsgergelymusic/sets/video-game-soundtrack-tracks

Advertisement

Hey!

Pros:

Very nice sound!

Overall, well produced and well written.

You do a great job at creating a mood and drawing the listener in.

Areas to improve:

Some of your lower drum impacts and brass sounds could have more impact. It's a bit thin sounding.

Your demo reel is too long. Most audio directors spend 5-10 seconds on a piece then move on. So create a highlight or sizzle reel that shows as much variety as you as a composer can provide.

While it's great music, it's hard for me to see how good of a composer you'd be for interactive situations.

Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed it. Making Contact, in my opinion, is the best of the six tracks you shared.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Your demo reel is too long. Most audio directors spend 5-10 seconds on a piece then move on. So create a highlight or sizzle reel that shows as much variety as you as a composer can provide.

I agree. When I'm looking for a composer, I might get several dozen sound portfolios at least, and I'm just an indie. If something starts out slow (like your first piece did), I'm inclined to close it and move on. Sometimes I'll click around in a piece, to see if it picks up and shows me something interesting, but that's kind of roulette- I may miss the best stuff you wanted to show.

Definitely have more pieces on there (once I narrow down applicants, I listen to almost everything they have), but start out with a bang and give a really dense offering for the first autoplaying piece on your page. I pretty much want to hear an example of exactly what I'm looking for, or I'll assume the composer can't do the style I'm after (that's not necessarily true, since many composers are more versatile than their demo tracks will show, but it's an assumption I need to make to narrow down applicants).

Thank you for your advices! nsmadsen I'm very happy that you've liked my music. I will create a demo reel just as you've suggested.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement