🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What do you guys think would work better in a VG Reel?

Started by
4 comments, last by nsmadsen 9 years, 9 months ago

It's been a while since my last post!

...and I thought I could ask for some advice!...I decided to change my reel with a wider selection of projects than last time, featuring not only VG work, but also Film and TV, with an emphasis on some deeper writing...

I would really appreciate your input...don't want to lose any potential VG work, but I thought it might be wiser to show some more delicate writing...after Austin Wintory showed the way to be more creative, it might be interesting for developpers as well...

What do you think? Or for a VG reel it might be wiser to just focus on VG music VS a more ecclectic approach?

Would love to know your opinions...after all, we are mostly composers in this part of the forum hehehe.

Thank you in advance, guys!

Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/ivanp-1/demo-reel-2014

Ivan Palomares . Composer, Conductor, Orchestrator

www.ivanpalomares.com

Video Reel

Audio Reel

Advertisement

What do you think? Or for a VG reel it might be wiser to just focus on VG music VS a more ecclectic approach?

What's worked well for me was to have genre specific reels and make it easy for various types of clients to browse them. Your music sounds wonderful by the way!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thank you Nate! Really appreciate your answer (and your nice comment!)

You mean doing a specific VG game, then Film, etc dedicated reel or even more genre-divided as in Action VG, Atmos VG reel, etc.

Thank you!

Best,

Ivan

www.ivanpalomares.com

Video Reel

Audio Reel

It depends on how you set things up, really. I could see it working either way.

The thing you want to avoid, in my opinion, is making it too cluttered or cumbersome to potential clients to find the type of stuff they're after. For me, I don't have a specific video versus game reel. Instead I've split it up by moods/genres because (again, this is just my opinion) clients are after an emotion. A mood. If you can capture that, then it doesn't really matter if the material was for game or film or even stage. All that matters is that you were on the same page with the client's needs. At least enough so to warrant an email/chat/call to talk more about it later!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Great and mature advice, Nate, deeply appreciated :)

Thank you,

Iván

www.ivanpalomares.com

Video Reel

Audio Reel

Always happy to help!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX