🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Demo Reel

Started by
3 comments, last by SamGarnerStudios 10 years, 5 months ago

Hey guys, here's my Demo Reel I'll be sending out for internships this summer. Please take a listen and let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/sam-garner/sam-garner-demo-reel-2014

Advertisement

I love the World of Warcraft-esque vibe of the 7/8 one! The reel shows a wide range of styles and potential theme settings -- definitely intership-worthy. The only things that bothered me were a few of the samples and the mono velocity of several hits (the cymbals of 'Amber Heavy Metal', in particular). Other than that, great work. Wish you luck!

Dang dude, I didn't even hear that lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

So many velocities.......

Aside from the excellent comments destinyreached pointed out, my only comment is that while it sounds very good and features strong writing - it's somewhat narrow in scope. Mostly orchestral (or orchestral-hybrids) with either dramatic or action moods. There was a really nice, ethnic, ambient track at the end! It's good music and it could be that you're aiming to be an orchestral composer. But for an internship, I would think that showing as much flexibility while being true to yourself is a good thing. If I was the audio director for a studio making whacky, kid-friendly social games then your demo might not really fit. Of course, you might not want that kind of work either. tongue.png

For example, I never promote myself as a rapper/hip hop composer because I have little experience with those genres and would rather point that client to someone else better qualified than me. But within those styles/genres that I do feel are true to me as a composer, I try to display as wide of a mood and approach as possible.

I've been following some of your work for a while, since you started posted on GD.net and the production level of your work has really risen a great deal! Great job! Best of luck with those internships. (Side note - I noticed you've played with Brian Mulholland. I know him - not super well but do know him and he worked with my uncle at UTA. I used to study with Tom Luer, who played with Brian and Stockon Helbing. Small world!)

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks Nathan for following me for some time, and thanks for the input.

Yeah Brian and Stockton are both awesome. Brian is a phenominal player and taught me alot. I went to UTA so maybe I know your uncle?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement