🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good Game Programming Book

Started by
19 comments, last by 2COOL4-U 22 years, 8 months ago
I am looking for a good book about Game programming, that is readable for a 14 year old kid. It should not require much maths, because I am still learn maths at school . It also should not contain much typo''s. A CD is not required. Any recommendations? I know C++''s syntax( Learned it from the C++ black book by Steven Holzner) but nothing about windows API programming. Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas - DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder - TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester
Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester
Advertisement
"Windows Game programming for dummies"
is a perfect book to get you started.
Romance is dead,it was bougth by Disney and Hallmark and sold to the public in small portions.
quote: Original post by 2COOL4-U
I am looking for a good book about Game programming, that is readable for a 14 year old kid. It should not require much maths, because I am still learn maths at school . It also should not contain much typo's. A CD is not required. Any recommendations? I know C++'s syntax( Learned it from the C++ black book by Steven Holzner) but nothing about windows API programming.

Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas
- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder
- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester

"opengl game programming" and "windows 98 programming from the ground up" (good for windows api) i cant say they are great, i only ordered them both today (shops dont have any good programming books on the shelfs) but from what i have read about those books from other people they seem like books im gonna enjoy reading and that will be of much use.

Edited by - Bezzant on October 28, 2001 10:47:52 AM
Get the two books Bezzant said.

OpenGL Game Programming is very good.

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I would recommend ''Multiplayer Game Programming'' by Todd Barron. As its title implies, the focus is on multiplayer programming, but the sections on basic windows programming and the introduction to DirectX are very good for a newbie gameprogrammer.
Heres the big question:

OpenGL or Direct 3D.

OpenGL does the matrices for you... you must do them yourself in D3D.

OpenGL is multiplatformed.

I can''t tell you what makes Direct 3D worth learning.. I don''t use it enough to know whwta is good for other than taking up time.

Direct Input is for input. Its an element of Direct X you will learn in a Direct X book, or OpenGL Game Programming.

Direct Sound is for music and sound FX. It is another element of direct X. You can learn it in OpenGL Game programming.

Direct Play is for multiplayer game programming.. and it is not taught in OpenGK Game Programming..

You can use OpenGL, DInput, DSound, and DPLay together.

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I would say get yourself a copy of "Tricks of the Windows game programming gurus" or "Windows game programming for dummies". The dummies book is nothing but a heavily cut down version of the gurus one, thus much is left out. I have both of them, and I recommend the gurus book even it''s more expensive. It''s THE game programming book for newbies. Both of the titles above cover some brief Windows API programming as well, more than enough to get you started on DirectX. If you are looking for more knowledge about the Windows API, I recommend Programming Windows by Charles Petzold. You don''t need that book right now though, but when you hunger for more Windows programming knowledge it''s second to none. To be able to program games using either Direct3D or OpenGL more math skills is required. "OpenGL Game Programming" is a very good book though. Good luck!
I was afraid I''d need more math skills. How about the Isometric Game Programming in DirectX 7 book, is that any good. I''ve always wanted to make an RTS game

Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester
Did anyone read Real-Time Strategy Game Programming Using MS Directx 6.0: http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=1556226446&vm=c ? It sounds interesting to me, the only problem is that I have the DX8a SDK, and I use VC++ 6. I read the code will not compile with VC++ 6. I can however download the borland compiler. Did anyone read this book?

Grr.... ignorance such as that that was displayed by Drizzt pisses me off. That is quite possibly the lamest argument in favour of OpenGL I have ever seen ("OpenGL does the matrices for you... you must do them yourself in D3D.") especially since it''s not true. The D3DX utility library provides any number of tools for matrices. Anyway, both Direct3D and OpenGL are essentially capable of the same things except for multiple platforms, which only OpenGL can do. But if you use all the other aspects of DirectX then you lose that advantage anyway. It''s basically an aesthetic choice. Pick one and stick with it, or even better learn both.

Anyway, as to books, most ones on Direct3D/OpenGL include at least a basic foundation in the Windows API, although it can be useful to get an extra book covering just that for reference. To decide on the book you should look at the book reviews section of this site. If you were able to wrap your head around C++ then any highly recommended book should be fine, I would know, I''m 14 too. If you have enough money, I''d also recommend getting the book Real Time Rendering in addition to whatever other books you purchase. It''s a good foundation/reference for various 3d topics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement