🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Composing Music for Video Games a Growth Field

Started by
6 comments, last by xiaoan 10 years, 9 months ago

Hi,

I just released a study on US Employment and Music Composers using data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (www.bls.gov) that I thought might be interesting to this group.

I did the study after reading an article in USA Today a couple weeks ago that listed "Music Composer and Audio Director" as the third fastest growing job category in the US over the past decade.

I wanted to see what the cause was, so I dug deeper into the data and found that games seemed to be the driving factor.

The press release on the study is here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/9/prweb11118906.htm

The full report is on the GameSoundCon web site

Edit: The story was picked up by Geekwire: http://www.geekwire.com/2013/study-video-games-causing-spike-music-composer-employment/

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Advertisement

Very cool Brian - and good news for us audio folk! :)

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks for a great study!

Entry to the industry is easier than ever with more positions opening up, but an equivalent glut in amateur composers seeking employment has also made it a little bit harder to climb. Might be interesting to find a study about the average fees of working composers at all tiers. I saw one a couple years ago, but the sample size was 24, so it's basically useless.

Li Xiao'an

Composer | Music Director

www.xiaoanli.com (Personal)

www.eastcoastscoring.com

Twitter: @lxiaoan

Might be interesting to find a study about the average fees of working composers at all tiers.

As far as working composers (people who reported to the Bureau of Labor Statistics that "composer" was their profession), salaries haven't gone down.

The last couple paragraphs in the full study (on the GameSoundCon website) mention this: salaries for composing jobs remained relatively flat at around 53k.

Now of course that doesn't count hobbyists, or people who don't make their living composing. That group of course would bring the number down significantly.

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

What I meant was actually the fees that composers charge for specific deliverables (i.e. per minute, hourly rate etc) measured against relative experience within the game industry, rather than their annual average income.

I was under the impression that the latter category saw a decline in recent years, though. Good to hear that that's not the case.

Li Xiao'an

www.eastcoastscoring.com

Thanks for a great study!

Entry to the industry is easier than ever with more positions opening up, but an equivalent glut in amateur composers seeking employment has also made it a little bit harder to climb. Might be interesting to find a study about the average fees of working composers at all tiers. I saw one a couple years ago, but the sample size was 24, so it's basically useless.

From people in the industry the average earning for a small project is 5-20k (GBP) and big projects anything upwards!!! Although it depends whether you are freelance or work under a company like Microsoft/Sony :)

salaries for composing jobs remained relatively flat at around 53k

Is that USD ? :)

Define "Small Project"?

Li Xiao'an

www.eastcoastscoring.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement