🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

But what would I need

Started by
1 comment, last by Ashleywlee 22 years, 8 months ago
What software would I need to make the text game, 2d game, and 3d game? I know I''ll need C++ but what other things would I need? Thank you.
Advertisement
that''s pretty much it, especially for a text game. but for something like 2d and 3d graphics, you''d probably want to use what''s called an API, application programming interface, and the 2 popular ones for that would be OpenGL or DirectX.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
You will need a compiler to compile your C++ code. I recommend MS VC++ (an introductory version comes free with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus) which costs under 100 dollars for standard version. With this alone, you can create text games, and even making simple text graphic games (picture drawing a tic tac toe board out of text) which can boost the ego ever so slightly

For 2d, my opinion of course, is you can stay with MSVC++. You can go with Direct X and obtain a good book teaching Direct Draw (honestly, I can''t imagine learning 3D without learning 2D fundamentals), since it''s pure 2D.

For 3d, you should be able to use Direct 3D learning from a good book. Lots of people like Open GL, which should be a good option as well. Judging from your question though, it should be a good while before you will reach this point. Will depend how much you already know, what tools you have, and most importantly: What resources you have available (read: books books boooooooooks!!!)

Hope that helps in any way

If you can read this, All your base are belong to us!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement