🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Chip tune-Noir jazz fusion

Started by
1 comment, last by nsmadsen 10 years, 10 months ago

Hey guys,

It's not often that you hear jazz music featured in video games these days. I'd wager it's even less often that you hear jazz music fused with chip tunes but that's exactly what you'll hear in Hot Tin Roof. This is a new project that I'm working on and am thrilled to show some of it off to you guys.

hottinroofhead.jpg

As you can see, it's got a really unique feel and vibe to it. I hope you enjoy it! Feedback on the audio is always welcomed! I composed most of the music you heard in the video and a buddy of mine, Michael Nielsen, composed the trailer track. It features another friend, Ken McGill on trumpet and Emma Messenger did the trailer VO.

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Being a self-taught amateur, I'm not sure I can contribute anything reasonable here, but... :P

At the very beginning (starting at 0:18), I think the hats on percussion have a bit too long release. I'm not a jazz passionate, so I might be wrong here. Maybe that's how it's suppose to be, I don't know... To me, it creates an effect of white noise, disturbing the piece as a whole. Hopefully, Nate will prove me wrong, having a lot more experience :)

Having said that - I really enjoyed the music! Despite the fact, I'm not into jazz and definitely not into saxophone nor chip tunes ;) That just proves to me, to keep my mind open!

Paul Zawal

Hey Paul!

Interesting point but what you're hearing isn't actually hi-hats at all. It's a ride cymbal with rivets in it to create a very long tail. Also called a sizzle cymbal. This is a common approach in certain styles of jazz and it certainly does create a bit of white noise to it. But that's what smokey jazz is known for. smile.png You can hear the hi-hat close on the back beats, especially in the tree holes of the trumpet line. Perhaps the mix could have been tweaked some but overall I think Michael Nielsen, the composer and producer of the trailer track, did a good job.

Just for discussion, however, there's also a technique of playing hi-hats really loose as well as opposed to clean, quick and tight. But that's usually reserved for tracks which are a bit faster and more active than the trailer track.

Hope that helps!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement