🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Online RPG point and Click Control system

Started by
3 comments, last by necr0 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I am wondering if you all could spare some time and give me some feed back on an idea. I am working on an online CRPG with the aim to make a persistent world. I am not saying I am going to make the next UO, EQ or AC or anything, I am just doing it for the fun of it. I want the control system to be a point and click method similar to Diablo and Baldur''s Gate. The way I was going to do this is as fellows: Client clicks on destination spot, and sends this to the Server. Server does quick validation on this vector, to make sure that it can be accessed (i.e. it is not in a rock formation, not in the middle of a water body, etc.) Server sends if the destination is okay or not to the client. If it is not okay no further action is taken. If it is a direction vector is calculated. Using this vector and a speed scalar a velocity vector is then computed. Client sends velocity to server. Server validates velocity, checking to make sure it has not exceeded the max speed this player can do, hasn''t hit an object act... Server sends this back to client. Client updates. This doesn''t take into account prediction or path finding at the moment but could do (and will do) What are your thoughts????
That is not dead can eternal lie, and even in sleep death may die.
Advertisement
being that you are having the server check everything that the client tries (i assume to prevent cheating), you might as well just have the server calculate everything... have the client send a request (say, "move to x,y), the server caclulates if they move, and if so how fast and in what direction, and sends the client this info.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Hi

thanks,

that does seem more logical.

That is not dead can eternal lie, and even in sleep death may die.
It is more logical, but if you have say, 30 clients and the server has to calculate for all of them then up date all the servers... it could become a problem as that is alot of calculations.

Of course it might not be a problem, it all depends but that is what you have to look out for.
Say your client is on a modem and it takes ~500ms to do a roundtrip to the server and back. You have two roundtrips for every click = one second of lag for every move. Yowch. Just cutting it down to one roundtrip cuts your lag in half.

-Mike
-Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement