🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game packet info

Started by
1 comment, last by supercow 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey couple of questions for you pros, First, I understand the best way to check if you get an old, (discardable,) out of order packet is to add a number to each packet, incrementing as you go. What happens when the number gets large enough to serously increase the packets size?? Should I send a RestartCounter guarenteed packet every hundred or so packets telling the server to reset the packet number?? any other ideas? Also, for dead reconing, I should try to determine the amount of time the packet took to arive and incorparate that into the simulation. How can I do this?? I way I understand this is that the server and client need to sincronize a timing system and datestamp each packet?? How is this possible???? Thanks for any help, Kevin
Moo goes the cow
Advertisement
Currently I''m letting DP do this for me, but I would simply use one byte... so the maximum number would be 255, and it would simply restart at 0 again...

There is a site somewhere how to implement time synchronisation, but I cannot recal the URL for it. a search on this board for "time synchronisation" will probably give you the url in an previous post.
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
You could just send "timing" packets every so often to test how long the lag is, and use this value as the "average estimated" time elapsed for your calculations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement