🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MUD code

Started by
9 comments, last by happylrac 22 years, 8 months ago
I''m interested in learning MMORPG network code. I saw a post saying that MUD network code is real similar to MMORPG network code. If so, does anyone have any idea where I can find some documentation and code on the subject? Thanks.
Advertisement
a really good source for mud code is ftp.game.org. also try seaching for mud on www.sourceforge.net. my person favorite mud base is circlemud.
I used to do tinymush mods a couple of years ago. The networking code is a pretty good example of handling large numbers of incoming network connections, but I don''t think I''d call it ''real similar'' to MMORPG code. They were really just text RPGS that wrote to a socket instead of a printf.

MUSHes/MUDs are a /great/ example of how to store a database of locations, players and objects, however.
Try the circlemud homepage, or download the circlemud source here.
I suggest taking the circlemud code and try to add threading to it. That would be closer to MMORPG stuff.
- Fleet
Why would threading increase the resemblance to MMORPGs? MMORPGs can be non-threaded just like MUDs can be threaded...

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
MUD network-code has nothing in common with any game of any kind if it''s well written. A MUD sends plain text to the clients and I hope you''re not going to do that in your game.

You should really try to come up with a non-text based protocol of some kind. You don''t want to send more information than you need, especially if you want many users.

Using a text-based protocol will make you send more data over the network and you will have to parse it when you receive it on the client side.

-Benny-
-Benny-
hah, you''re not right.
text protocol - so what.
I think that mud code has good base to rpg-game, just have to change protocol ;-)
I''m sure you could make a non-threaded MMORPG, but in order to be ''massive'' it seems you would need to do something with threading or IOCP to handle the large volume.

Whether you''re sending graphics information or text it''s all just bits to the computer. I think the network code might be more similar than you think.

Happylrac, starting with MUD network code sounds like a good idea to me. And changing it around, adding threading or UDP or whatever sounds like a step in the right direction.

- Fleet
- Fleet
I would suggest looking at any mud network code and then trying to implement a few servers of your own. TCP/IP is easy to learn and you can find numerous examples (including Mud network code) to help you. You may want to take a look at the UOX3 server which is an open source UO server. The code isn''t the greatest and they have mixed C and C++ but- if your learning - everything that you look at helps.

After you get comfortable with TCP/IP - I would suggest looking for some UDP examples. You can always find UDP time servers and such... Most all MMORPGs use UDP these days... there are issues with reliability and in orderness of the data - all of which can be overcome with some trickery. Once good example is a book by Adriane Perez... cant remeber the title; Something like "3D Game Programming with Direct3D" I think... anyway, one of the chapters has all the information that you need to get you on your way to using UDP...

Have fun,
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement