🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

VIDEO: Is Sony on a path to PlayStation VR?

Started by
2 comments, last by David Story 12 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys. I'm Xander Davis-- a Senior Game Designer on an action RPG with CryEngine 3. I also did the UI Art on Transformers: War for Cybertron. I've started a game design discussion show... with you! It's called THINK TANK! where we can all discuss and brainstorm on current game industry and design related topics.

We just released our new episode a few hours ago!

THINK TANK: SONY BRINGING VR SEXY BACK?
Game Design Discussion

thinktank-20110904-sonyvr.png

Is Sony on the road to PlayStation VR? Their 3D Visor will be released this Fall, so will it ultimately become the core philosophy behind PS4? Will this revolutionize how you want to play games? Let's discuss the perils and potential of 3D and VR with game design and the gaming experience. What do you think?

Hope you guys like this! We hope you get involved!

Cheers,
-X

My Portfolio: www.xanderdavis.com
Advertisement
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]
I have no 3D TV and I do not own a 3DS. Given the choice, I would avoid 3D movies whenever I go to the cinema. So this is coming from someone who dislike 3D stuff with a passion.[/font]

The headset itself: That thing looks heavy. It looks like it would be uncomfortable for people with glasses. Its also easier to accidentally step on that headset when you carelessly have it lying around after a gaming session. From what I've read about the headset, it seems that you are blinded and won't be able to see much of your surroundings when you put it on. A sure way to get into accidents (read below).

3D Headche: Part of the problem with 3DS was that is caused headache in some people. You do not want players throwing up after playing Wipeout on that headset. If players are complaining about minor headaches, you'll have people raging when they start throwing up because of the headset.

Orientation Issue
: Assuming the headset can be used with PSMove/Kinect/Wii games, players are more than likely to turn away from the signal detector due to the headset. Their body will move with their head because they are playing the game standing. The motion sensors would probably go haywire and not detect whatever you just did after you turned away from the detector. And then there is the problem of people moving around without being aware of their surroundings. More likely than not they are going to be breaking a few pieces of fragile furnitures or suffer some injuries when crashing into non-breakable stuff.

The Price: $750 per headset is way above what I'm willing to pay for a piece of puke inducing accessory.

Edit: I also think that the headset only goes well with First-Person games, further reducing its overall value and usage.
Moving to Hardware Discussion.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hey Xander, like your show!

I like VR in games and at work. I've used a prototype VR glove and goggles to mix audio, it was very cool. And there are cool 3DS games.
I prefer polarization to current autostereocopic sets. Can't wait to try the visor!

Yes, 3D technology will eventually work for hours at home. It took hundreds of millions to get it to Avatar level in a tuned theater in 2009. A kind of Moore's law may apply here, with 3D getting better very fast.

For bursts of 3D fun I think the new visor could be a good deal. The price point now is for early adopters, when it's under 300 it will take off, imo.!

When's the next show?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement