🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Graphic Card

Started by
2 comments, last by Cotysaxman 13 years ago
Hello,

I want make a new "workstation" because next year I will begin studies in 3D video game.
The problem is that I don't know which is the better graphic card between tow Nvidia GTX 580 in SLI or one Nvidia Quadro 4000.
I know that for Maya, 3Ds Max and all 3D's program Quadro card are better than Geforce card. But for the game engine and test what is the best?

The other component are :
- Motherboard : P6X58D-E
- Processor : Intel core I7 960 3.2 Ghz 4c 8mb or I7 970 3.2 Ghz 6c 12Mb
- Memory : 16 Gb DDR3 at 1600Mhz
- Power supply : 1200 w gold

I hope that's the good topics but excuse me if it's not on the good topics. And excuse me for my english I am french and I don't speak english very well.
Great Thanks.
Nerviens
Advertisement
I use 590gtx and its pretty amazing for processing large amounts of polygons.
Nvidia stated somewhere that it can handle 2 billion polygons per sec.
That rig is overkill and a waste of money.

A 650W power-supply will do.

12gig of Ram is more than anyone needs, 16 gb? What are you planning on doing with this?!

A 950 can be overclocked to 3.8ghz on air, the higher end chips are just throwing money on a fire.

The Geforce 570 is a good card for graphics, at no point will any modern game push it to anything near to its extremes and has much better in terms of heat and noise than the other 500 range cards. SLI does not offer improvements in many 3d applications.

I wrote an article here about choosing components for a Rig:

http://www.machinest...entry.php?id=41
Uhh...I use a 980X at 4.4ghz, 6GB RAM, and a GTX580. If I run 2 or 3 games that released in the last couple months concurrently, I can stress the CPU to 15%. The GPU, however, will max itself out on most things over 4x AA and 1080p or above.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement