🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Comparison of iPad hardware to equivalent PC

Started by
3 comments, last by ajaytemp_55190 12 years, 9 months ago
I'm sure it's not quite as simple as this, but does anyone want to take a guess what CPU/GPU on a PC might have equivalent computing/rendering power as an iPad? Trying to get a rough idea how weedy it is for 3D graphics. The graphics chip is one which is actually used in integrated graphics and has shaders, etc but I imagine even by integrated graphics standards it is a bit sluggish.

Anyone?
Advertisement
I am guessing that it would be a pretty low spec'd PC. Something like an AMD Duron 1000 with a crappy Riva TNT video card (if you are lucky).

Those things are more about portability and convenience, more than anything.

I am guessing that it would be a pretty low spec'd PC. Something like an AMD Duron 1000 with a crappy Riva TNT video card (if you are lucky).

Those things are more about portability and convenience, more than anything.

Industry should ditch the CPU and go with a GPU as the CPU+GPU+FPU now.

I'm sure it's not quite as simple as this, but does anyone want to take a guess what CPU/GPU on a PC might have equivalent computing/rendering power as an iPad?

Perhaps this comparison will help establish a useful baseline. Interesting to note that it is dead even with the G4 Macs of old.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

[quote name='d000hg' timestamp='1294781719' post='4757373']
I'm sure it's not quite as simple as this, but does anyone want to take a guess what CPU/GPU on a PC might have equivalent computing/rendering power as an iPad?

Perhaps this comparison will help establish a useful baseline. Interesting to note that it is dead even with the G4 Macs of old.
[/quote]

[color="#666666"][font="Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][size="4"]"As the chart shows, the iPad 2 is 64% faster than the first iPad which is a large improvement, but does not match Apple's claims of being "twice as fast" as the original iPad. However, Apple has a loophole in the testing. Geekbench tests the main processor, but not the graphics processor, which may push the performance of the iPad 2 to be twice as fast as the first iPad for some, but not likely all,[color="#00aef0"][color=#00AEF0 !important][font=inherit !important][color=#00AEF0 !important][font=inherit !important]applications[/font][/font]. PC Mag has also tested both iPads and show a 300% performance boost for the iPad 2, which is even more than Apple's claim."[/font]

[size="4"]I like a video of the verifiable testing with explanation.
[size="4"]Who should public pick a 100% speedup claim or 64%. Then next home page on-line tell a different story.
[size="4"]100% increase in net profit after-taxation is not minor compared to 64%.

It is more egregious to lie which is same as non-verifiable un-proven claiming.

And what is geekbench testing. [size=2]there missing overlap between a GPU and CPU capabilities and circumstances like usage and certain applications could cause differences. every one knows what the computer professors say, benchmarks are worst indictator of computer performance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement