🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are hard-drives plug-n-play?

Started by
6 comments, last by ryan20fun 13 years ago
Hi,

I don't know much about hardware, so I don't know how reasonable the question is. But I want to replace the RAM and possibly CPU + Motherboard on my computer, but continue using the same hard-drive. What are the restrictions on doing this?

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Advertisement
1) As long as the new computer supports the interface (IDE, SATA, SATA2) then you can just plug it in and go.

2) You likely won't be able to boot off the old hard drive, as the old software won't be configured for the new hardware. Even if it does boot, it will have some serious issues due to the same fact.

3) SSDs are all the rage these days for speed. You may consider getting a small cheap one to use as your boot drive.

I once did that, and there was actually no problem at all.
Windows started installing the new drivers for the motherboard, I restarted, and that was it.
I would still recommend you do a fresh install, cause it might give problems later. (if it installs at all, I think I was just lucky)
You are replacing most of your computer parts here. Parts which are more expensive than a typical hard drive. To save yourself a great deal of head ache and worrying about data loss : buy yourself a new HDD or SSD and use it for reinstalling your OS and software.

Consider also that your new setup could be high end but it could be slowed down by your "old" HDD.

Certain operating systems may actually work even if you plug your HDD to the new computer (after several reboots), but I strongly recommend not to do it.

Cheers!
I find that 90% of the time you will need to do a repair install of Windows. All of your data & apps stay intact and you are good to go.

I used to work in a PC store and have done this many, many times without fail. :cool:

The other 10% of the time is more ugly, where you have no option but to do a clean install, re-install all apps, and copy all of the users data & profile across. But, this is pretty rare.

Hi,

I don't know much about hardware, so I don't know how reasonable the question is. But I want to replace the RAM and possibly CPU + Motherboard on my computer, but continue using the same hard-drive. What are the restrictions on doing this?

<jokingly>
plug in HDD -> install game -> play.
nope, it's apparently not plug and play.
oh well, atleast you can "plug and work" but as for "plug and play" it would hae to have a game on it for that to apply
</jokingly>

yes it is plug and play, but i dont think RAID is plug and play as i think drivers are needed for that

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Hi,

The only restriction is with your OS , it may or may not approve of all the other hardware changes. (Windows OEM installations won't accept a motherboard change, other Windows licenses might require reactivation).

On top of any license issues there are also driver issues, if you're running a modern version of Windows or Linux its likely that your new motherboard will be supported out of the box but if you're using an old OS there might be complications. (drivers for the new SATA controller might be missing for example)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
in windows you need to format the drive through "Computer Management"(Win XP) and then it will show up.
dont know about other OS'.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement