🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RTS units textures

Started by
1 comment, last by koom 22 years, 10 months ago
Hi We are developing a small RTS game and I have one simple question for you: Given one unit will take maximally about 50 - 100 pixels on screen and they are 3d models(like in TA), how would you as artists do textures? One texture for whole unit or more small ones? And how big will thy approxamately be, 50x50...? I know you cant say when you dont know anything more, but give me just an idea please. Thank you regards Jindrich Kolman
regardsJindrich KolmanLibs
Advertisement

Generally, it''s pointless to make a texture any bigger than it''ll appear on screen, so you probably won''t want to make them much bigger than 50x50. Not knowing anything about your units, I can''t really say any more, but if there''s no compelling reason to break the textures up, then why would you?

In short, do as little as you need to make it look good.
Sorry I had to state Im only programmer without experience in modelling and Im currently working on textures handling so I needed an idea. Now Im using big named bitmaps divided into smaller in our editor, seems to be good approach.

regards
Jindrich Kolman
regardsJindrich KolmanLibs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement