🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The 3D era is coming

Started by
1 comment, last by swiftcoder 14 years, 3 months ago
Nvidia GF 3D Vision Kit bundle includes: 1. 3D Vision Glasses 2. Samsung 2233RA 22" 120Hz LCD Monitor Just found this 3D Vision Kit is on sale and it's very cheap. Link spam link removed ~ your friendly neighborhood moderator. [Edited by - Ravuya on March 11, 2010 1:15:10 PM]
Advertisement
I doubt 3D vision will be a success, to be honest. Not unless a solution that works without glasses (no matter whether anaglyph or shutters or whatever) becomes generally available and affordable. As long as you have to wear those stupid glasses, it is rather an annoyance (to me at least).

3D cinematography has been around since the 1920s, and it has never really been a bombing success. Now recently, for CGI movies, it has become a lot cheaper, which is the likely reason that there's another 3D hype wave with Avatar and a few movies following after it. Those movies now have 3D in them because it's hip and "new", and because it sets them apart, which can't hurt in a time when a lot of people have to budget their expenses. Also, it doesn't really cost anything extra except a few CPU cycles.

However, 3D today has the same general problem that the 3D movies in the 1950s (and again in the late 70s / early 80s) had too. A boring film or a film that has no serious target audience (or no story) does not get any better with 3D. On the other hand, a good film with good content will sell without 3D, anyway.

Jaws was an awesome movie to watch in 3D. But Jaws was an awesome movie without 3D too. Maybe it wouldn't be quite so shocking to today's standards, but at that time, after I first saw it, I was having a nervous feeling every time I went swiming... for years. :-)
It will be gone in 3 years. In 10, kids will laugh at the idea of people putting on glasses to watch a movie.

Also I wish they would stop calling it "3D". We already have 3D graphics. That's stereoscopic movies.
This is marketing spam.

Curious exactly what the package is though - looks like wifi shutter glasses, plus an overpriced 2ms LCD?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement