🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to divide ADSL modem output by a switch?

Started by
4 comments, last by LilBudyWizer 14 years, 3 months ago
I have a similar system at my home. The only differences are 1) I use a switch instead of hub 2) I connected only two PCs to switch 3) I don't use a telephone, I connected ADSL modem directly without using a splitter Modem: TP-W8901G Switch: ZyXEL ES108A PC 1: Desktop, Windows 7 Ultimate PC 2: Laptop, Windows XP SP3 Home I use static IP under the modem, I set these IPs: PC 1: x.x.x.141 PC 2: x.x.x.143 My system works if I start "PC 2" first, then start "PC 1". But it doesn't work if I start "PC 2" when "PC 1" is working. What the problem could be? Actually I don't know what I'm doing here. How can I diagnose the problem here? Do you have any suggestions, or need any more details about my system? Any help will be appreciated.
Advertisement
When the machines are started up in the order that makes them not work, can you ping one from the other? Can you ping the modem's internal IP address from both? Can you ping outside servers by IP address? (Try 8.8.8.8) Have you done anything screwy with PC 1, like setting up a DNS or DHCP server?
You need a router in there somewhere. Either replace the ADSL modem with a Modem+Router-in-one, or replace the switch with a Router+Switch-in-one, or insert a stand-alone-Router in-between the modem and the switch.
[EDIT]
^^ Ignore this... Apparently your TP-W8901G is a Modem+Router-in-one already.
Your setup looks pretty much OK. I do wonder why you've got a switch and the modem: the modem has a built-in 4 port switch so the extra one doesn't seem to add any value to me.

When you say "works" and "doesn't work", what exactly to do you mean? Do you mean it can't connect to the internet? I think Sneftel's suggestion on attempting to ping between everything would definitely be a first step...
Sorry for the late reply.
I have waited for this connection error to happen once more before posting anything here. But since then it connects successfully. The only relevant thing I did was to uninstall a problematic wireless software & driver (it was called something like "Intel PRO Wireless"), and nothing else.
Thank you anyway.
One thought is IP addresses are actually reversed and PC 1 is using a dynamic IP address. So you start PC 1 first and it takes 141. When you start PC 2 it tries using 141 which is already taken. When you start PC 2 first it takes 141 and then PC 1 takes whatever it's given.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement