🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Quick Question

Started by
3 comments, last by l jsym l 14 years, 5 months ago
Hey this isn't really about hardware but I dont know where else to put it :S...if you want me to post it somewhere else just tell me where and I will be happy to do so. I recently bought a Mac Book Pro, with windows 7 using parrallels 5.0. I have all of my data and what not saved on an external hardrive. However, it seems that all of my files are read only and it wont let me change any of them so they arent read only. I'm trying to edit some information I have and it's not working at all. If anyone at all knows how i can fix this problem please let me know. Thanks, and once again if anyone wants me to move this I will be happy too.. Thanks
l jsym l
Advertisement
I'm not 100% if this is the problem, but if your drive is formatted as NTFS, OS X can only mount NTFS drives/partitions as read-only by default. If you want to write to these partitions, perhaps the most common way is to install MacFUSE followed by NTFS-3G for Mac OS X. If your drive is FAT32, I can't see there being a problem unless it was some Parallels quirk/issue that I am unaware of.
Well i downloaded both of them and it still seems to be doing the same thing. When I click on the read only button to unmark it, it comes up with an error of "access is denied".

i am on the administrator account and everything. I'm lost.
l jsym l
Hmm, then I'm unsure of what the problem could be. MacFUSE + NTFS-3G worked fine for me, so perhaps it's a Parallels issue. Maybe you might have more luck asking about this in a Parallels discussion forum since I don't have Parallels.

The only other thing I can suggest is unmounting/ejecting the external in the host system (OS X) and mounting it in the guest (Windows 7). If for some reason there's any conflict, this could potentially help. Sorry I can't be more help than that!
I surely could try that out I guess I never thouht of that.. I just have to find out how to eject it form the mac os now cuz i cliked the button that said "never ask this again" when it asked which one I wanted to use it on :S:S:S
l jsym l

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement