🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Opinions on processors

Started by
13 comments, last by AlabamaCajun 14 years, 9 months ago
Id go with the X2 just cause it has more L2 cache (6mb is pretty decent for amd) but the lacking L3 cache will slow you down on really interactive apps. I wouldn't go with the X3 just cause I've never heard of them being all that good, except for casual gamers, office worker setups.

In my picky way I'd also only get a black edition cpu from amd, if it's not labeled BE of Black Edition there no good way of overclocking it in the future. I'd spend just a little more and go for a newer Phenom II X4 either the 800 or 900 series. The daneb cores are know to be real good, easy to oc, and stay pretty cool.

I've never dealt with intel cpu's, but I know the duo's are getting cheaper and cheaper and have really good cache and overclocking ability that can push higher than either of those amd's for less money.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Advertisement
Um...those both suck. Buy an X3 720 Black or an X4 620, and find a matching mobo. Oh, or just to really muck things up, Newegg can give you an E8400 or Q8400 for about the same price as the 720 Black.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: Original post by Promit
Um...those both suck. Buy an X3 720 Black or an X4 620, and find a matching mobo.
Ignoring the Intel option for the moment, not sure I see the reasoning behind preferring an Athlon II X4 over a Phenom II X3?

The Athlon is a tad cheaper, and sports an extra core, but you there is a decent chance you wouldn't miss the 4th core for everyday tasks, and you lose out on L3 cache - which might cost a chunk of single-threaded performance.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

It's a pretty substantial single threaded cost, but if you can put the fourth core to good use, or if you're really cheap, the X4 is a good choice.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Unless you are going for a quad, I would go with the Regor 250 at 3.0G and 2x1M cache.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681

Those big 1meg caches vs the 512K in all the Phenom line amounts to a nice boost to what we do. Compile, Game, rip etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement