🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Computer speakers...

Started by
4 comments, last by Moe 14 years, 10 months ago
I'm quite curious to know what you guys/gals are using for computer speakers. Right now I've got a set of Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers (that look like this). They have been pretty good, but I've been thinking about getting a new set when I buy a new computer (hopefully later this month). I've seen this set before, and it is pretty impressive (and has an optical input, which means I could finally get some 5.1 sound from my Xbox 360). But looking around, I really don't see nearly as many 5.1 surround systems for computers. I don't think I've even seen any 7.1 systems. What gives? Does no one actually make 7.1 surround systems for computers, or are people piecing things together themselves? At that price point is it worth getting a cheap home theatre setup or buying a cheap receiver and a bunch of speakers? Is there really nothing decent in the $100-200 range? I'm just really kind of curious about this...
Advertisement
I use a headset. I don't even own a working pair of full sized speakers.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
i use boze speakers, they serve me really good last 8years, i listen to hardcore techno music most of the time and they are still produce good sound and they werent too expensive i think i payed them around 70$

Quote: Original post by mikey44

I wonder if that was intentional.
I used to use a set of Cambridge Megaworks that I absolutely adored. They were ridiculously powerful, and used a single digital cable to connect to my (at the time) Sound Blaster Audigy. I was the cock of the walk with all my friends, and I had to take them with me whenever there was a party that needed some powerful sound.

And since I bought it from Newegg, I recieved the item next day with free shipping!

They died about a year ago - something in the subwoofer blew, and replacing the fuse did not fix it. I had them for about 5 years, and I don't think they make them anymore.

...I'm pretty sure that makes the last 3 paragraphs utterly useless.

Nowadays, I've finished school, moved away from the 'rents, and live in an apartment. So I no longer need that extreme power, and I went with something a bit more tailored to my budget - these speakers by logitech. They are surprisingly loud in my small computer-room, and give rich, deep bass. If you really want to rock your socks, however, might I suggest Bose (as the above user mentioned) or perhaps these beaut's.
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
BTownTKD: My set of speakers before this was a set of Cambridge Soundworks (4.1). They were pretty awesome and still work, although I gave them to my parents back when I bought my current set (so roughly 4 years ago). I haven't really heard much of them (no pun intended) in the past few years, which is a bit of a shame. I've also had a chance to hear that exact set of Logitech speakers that you linked to. They were pretty good, but my concern is I'd rather have quality over sheer volume. That, and I really don't need a ton of bass.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement