🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How much do you think this is worth??

Started by
17 comments, last by Ravyne 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote: Original post by Steadtler
I, for instance, dont know a single person that would pick vista over xp.

Then you sir know crazy people.

I've used XP, XP x64 and Vista x64; in a choice between the 3 Vista x64 wins hands down.

Granted, Win7 is better still, but that's a minor point.
Advertisement
This is XP x64 which is hands-down beaten by Vista x64.

Still, I wouldn't want to touch XP with a ten foot pole nowadays. It's like when XP came out, everybody swore they'd never move off Windows 2000, but nobody even mentions 2000 anymore.
I chose xp x64 because I got it for free that's about all once win7 comes out I'll get that though...
Quote: Original post by InvalidPointer
Out of curiosity, why did you go with XP x64 when the 64-bit edition of Vista is pretty much universally regarded as being better? Stigma?

Its funny how "universally" never quite mean what you think it would mean. Usually its "universally among the people who agree with me". I, for instance, dont know a single person that would pick vista over xp.

Touche! You are correct, I don't count everyone-- just the opinions of people that have actually used both, which tends to coincide with the group that agrees with me :)

EDIT: You can also add me to your list, if you'd like. I switched to Vista slightly *before* its direct release (thanks, Power Together!) and haven't looked back. Aside from a few initial problems with optical drive firmware (which isn't even Microsoft's fault/responsibility, TBH) it's been smooth sailing, literally. The improved OS threading architecture is one of those little things that make a huge difference. Have fun watching your OS grind to a halt while it reads external media.
EDIT 2: And this is becoming an XP vs. Vista flamewar, so let's just sum things up by saying 'try before you bash.'
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Quote: Original post by Codeka

Have fun finding drivers for everything. I'd rather take Vista over XP if it was 64 bit. Heck, I'm surprised they even bothered with a 32 bit variant of Windows 7.

DITTO!!!!
I've started w/ Tandy 1000 When BBS was the internet. seen 3.1 on 3.5 Disc allthe way through Vista 64bit is BY FAR BETTER!!! IF your Hardware is correct 4 Vista (although MS workarounds R very good { If U hv a Problem just reboot get sys online & in days MS will srnd Patch/fix 4 Ur sys
Enjoy your Blessed DAY!
Quote: Original post by Moe
Quote: Original post by Codeka

Have fun finding drivers for everything. I'd rather take Vista over XP if it was 64 bit. Heck, I'm surprised they even bothered with a 32 bit variant of Windows 7.

Yea I'm surprised they mad 32-bit on win 7 too, so far my main problem that kept me away from vista x64 is that I cannot get my scis card drivers for vista at all only nt 4.0 to xp... But the card works for win7 which I think is odd so when it comes out I will dual boot xp and win7 and maybe even ubuntu 8.10
Quote: Original post by Moe
They're only releasing 32-bit versions of the client OS (there's no 32-bit version of Server 2008 R2, for example).

Personally, I think 32-bit should've been dropped from Windows 7 as well, but I don't make the decisions :-)
I think you paid a fair price, particularly if the RAM is decent speed and made by a good manufacturer, same goes for PSU and case.

Geeks on internet tech forums tend to low-ball such prices because they are of the "build it myself for cheaper" mindset -- which isn't inherently wrong, its just that on the open market for used goods a lot of folks are willing to pay a premium to not have to do that -- although, the problem with those folks is that they're equally likely to just buy whatever from the local Best Buy or mega mart.

For someone looking for a better computer for mega-mart prices, or a geek with more money than time, or without the knowhow to self-build, it seems like a good price.

Honestly, after the trouble I had with my recent build, and its supposedly "high quality" Crucial Ballistix RAM, I'm strongly considering a pre-build workstation for my next system, and then simply customizing with GPUs and hard disks.

Also, from what I've learned the hard way -- Crucual Ballistix DDR2 absolutely sucks, and G.Skill is absolutely wonderful.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement