🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

male costumes, arrgh

Started by
6 comments, last by sunandshadow 22 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone know anywhere that I can look for good examples of male costumes? Refrences for female ones are everywhere, but for guys I found one book all about suits, a few on mideival stuff and some websites selling halloween costumes. Any suggestions? Superhero costume design, clubwear, las vegas showboy, futuristic, anything like that would be really helpful if you could give me a link or a book title! Thanx.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Check male fashion sites. They have good stuff.
Or you can visit your local fashion mall and just walk around. Check Sport stores, Brand name stores (armani, Moores, Gap, Guess etc.)

The reason you can''t find many things is that male fashion doesn''t change that much. The suit tie ensemble has been around for years.
If it''s bodyguards the whole secret service thing works pretty well.
I think that if you want superhero costumes, you should hang out at your local comic book shop. I mean, the costumes are all pretty much the same, spandex to show off the muscles and frills to accentuate the getup and make it unique...ie: capes, big boots with calf folded down, wide-brimmed hat with feather....wings...whatever.

otherwise, a superhero is defined by his actions, not by what he wears...thus, logically, a superhero will not go to the clothing store and say, hey, what will make me look cool...he''ll probably say, what will be comfortable in battle? So, as per the previous post, male fasion has not changed much in a long time...loose pants and a stretchy shirt is a good combo....try shooting for the practical hero...what would you wear to fight crime? maybe just give him regular slacks and a button shirt...but make the colors dark...I mean, fabric is fabric, so just make up your own design, and use the fabric folds as reference...

Howevere, if you''re trying to be historically accurate, I suggest going to the video rental store and pick up movies in your genre.

I hope that was helpful.
try lookin for stuff by jean paul gaultier.... he did the costumes for fifth element....
Go to your library and look for books on theatre props and costumes.
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
I already hit that section of the library, as well as the one one gay fashion, the one on dandyism, and the one on regular fashion, historical and modern. Haven''t found anything on crossdressing yet, but it doesn''t seem relevant. I am completely not interested in portraying regular guy clothes - clubwear and goth clothes are closer to what I want.

Hase: thank you four gaultier''s name, I''ll check him out.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Have you tried the websites of places that sell clubwear/gothwear ? Google lists 22 entries under shopping->clothing->niche->clubwear and 37 under gothwear. I imagine they have some pics.

There''s also categories for rave, hiphop, punk, and dance, but I''m a little too old to know the difference between most of those.

Otherwise I''d recommend surfing for netgoth home pages. They should have pics of themselves and links to their friends'' sites.

HTH
Thank you HTH, that approach has been extremely productive!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement