🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New gfx card

Started by
16 comments, last by Moe 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote: ATI's performance/price ratio might be better -- but NVIDIA's dev tools are vastly superior and their drivers range from about the same (D3D) to way better (OGL).

I second that. In May, my old nVidia video card got toasted. Since I only make 2D games, I asked for the cheapest card, which was an ATI.

However, my game, while 2D, still uses OpenGL for better rendering and blend modes. And, well... The OpenGL driver for my ATI video card does not implement everything, and there are a couple of functions that do not work anymore. However, you might want to develop your game for the lowest common denominator to make sure it runs everywhere, so that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by stonemetal
Quote: Original post by Promit
Then again, ATI has DX 10.1 support and NV doesn't, which is why there's a Radeon in my machine right now. So take that as you will.

I am running a nvidia GT220 that would disagree with this assertion.

GT220? I can't say I have heard of that card/chipset. I've heard of the 295, 280, 275, and 250, but not the 220. Is it in a laptop or something?

I personally see the 4850 as been a pretty sweet spot for price/performance.
It is an OEM card on the low end of things. Came in an Asus desktop system. It is current gen architecture card not a rebadged 9x card like the gt100s are. It is Nvidia's first 40NM product. There aren't any reviews out there to point you at and I haven't really put it through any bench marks yet, but I can say it is a big step up from the ATI 9600 I had before it.
Quote: Original post by Bearhugger
However, my game, while 2D, still uses OpenGL for better rendering and blend modes. And, well... The OpenGL driver for my ATI video card does not implement everything, and there are a couple of functions that do not work anymore.
ATI seems to spend much less time on maintaining deprecated features, where NVidia keeps the older features around pretty much forever. Make sure you are using valid, modern OpenGL constructs in your programs.
Quote: Original post by stonemetal
It is an OEM card on the low end of things. Came in an Asus desktop system.... I haven't really put it through any bench marks yet, but I can say it is a big step up from the ATI 9600 I had before it.
Since ATI's 9600 is an (ancient) SM 2.0 card, it is not surprising that the newer card comes out on top - even the integrated ATI 3200 and NVidia 9400M should be well above a card of that vintage [smile]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I forgot mention that I may be doing some Blender. I decided to take second thought on that 4790; it may may be way to much firepower for the job. Whatever I'm getting, it's going to be ATi. Is there any noticeable difference between the 4890 and the next step down; 4870?
From the benchmarks I've looked at, the 4890 seems a bit faster than the 4870. It may also run a bit cooler. I'm actually considering getting a 4870 for my new machine I just ordered. There are a few 1 gig models for around $160 CDN that have solid reviews.
FYI; according to some rumors AMD might well be releasing that DX11 cards by Sept 11th this year.

Quote: Original post by phantom
FYI; according to some rumors AMD might well be releasing that DX11 cards by Sept 11th this year.

Where'd you see the rumors? I'm curious - I haven't heard anything about it yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement