🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I need a tile ripper... bad

Started by
5 comments, last by Some Guy 22 years, 12 months ago
I don''t like using image editors on computers. Pretty straightforward, right? Well, I''m not nearly as creative on an image editor as I am with a pencil and paper, the traditional set of tools. And that''s what I like to use. I''m making a game with a tile-based engine, so I need a tile ripper to turn my scanned-in drawings into 32x32 tiles (in bold for a reason). Can someone give me a link to a good tile ripper that can do this?
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Some Guy
I don''t like using image editors on computers. Pretty straightforward, right?

Well, I''m not nearly as creative on an image editor as I am with a pencil and paper, the traditional set of tools. And that''s what I like to use.

I''m making a game with a tile-based engine, so I need a tile ripper to turn my scanned-in drawings into 32x32 tiles (in bold for a reason).

Can someone give me a link to a good tile ripper that can do this?

First I would suggest already made tiles that have already been ripped. All you would have to do take them from the bmp, png, or gif that there saved in. You can find them at http://www.gaminggroundzero.com/

If you still can''t find what you looking for you can try the utilities section at http://www.zophar.net. He has some stuff for taking images from console ROM images.
Patrick
That doesn''t even begin to feign help for me, dude. I need to rip 32x32 tiles from my own artwork that I scan in. The ripper must read bmp, jpg, or pcx image formats.

I found that little tut there on making one of my own (from Diana Gruber), but it doesn''t really help. Just telling you so you know what not to suggest.
You say you don''t like image editors because you''re less creative with them. But surely they are the ideal tools for doing what you want to do: turn a scanned image into tiles. Now, I don''t entirely understand what you want (your request isn''t too clear), but I''m guessing the slicing tool in Adobe ImageReady (and no doubt some other web-oriented graphics packages) could turn a scanned sheet of paper into a load of 32x32 tiles in a pretty short time.
I think you understand, really. I need a free tool that can divide bitmaps into 32x32 tiles. Simple as that.

I have the demo for Photoshop LE, so if any plugins will work or if the program itself has an action for doing this, I''d really like to know about it.

Also, I''m teaching myself Allegro (WIP v3934 for Dev-C++), and I''m trying to figure out how I''d write a tile ripper using Diana Gruber''s very vague tutorial I spoke of as a guide. It''s pathetic. See where I am? Yeah...

I need some help...
Well, until you can find something more suitable, here''s how to kind of do what you want in Photoshop:

Select the Rectangular Selection tool.
From its options, choose ''Fixed Size'' (rather than ''Normal'' or ''Constrained Aspect Ratio''.
Now set the width and height to 32 pixels each.
Click on the image where you want the top left of the tile to start. If you are dividing up the whole image, you start with the top-left pixel. Use the zoom feature to get in closer if you can''t do this easily.
Hit Ctrl-X to cut that tile out.
Hit Ctrl-N to start a new image. It should already say 32x32 (because it''s intelligent enough to know what''s on the clipboard). Click OK.
Make sure that new image is selected, and hit Ctrl-V. This pastes your tile into that image. You can now save it as a bmp, gif, or whatever.
Repeat this process until you have cut out all the tiles from your original picture.

Note: I''m not claiming this is the best way of doing it. There are almost certainly better ways, especially with ImageReady which would probably let you slice it up into 32x32 sections and can then save all the separate tiles for you. However, I''m not experienced enough to tell you how to do that, and the above method could at least get you started, if you want.
That''ll work. Nothing to download. No code to write. I''m set.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement