🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A new idea for multiplayer games?

Started by
10 comments, last by Moe 23 years ago
"There is already a solution to this in Tribes and Tribes 2. It''s called a "Filter"."

I''ve been using filters and favs in gamespy since it was called Qspy hahaha. First thing I thought when reading this post was: OMG.. DUDE, ITS CALLED FILTERS!

Dean makes a good poing about the PL issue, however, your fileterlist is usually small if you do it rigth, and all you need to do is utilize your filters and then when the initial full server sweep is finished, sort the filter list accoding to pings, and then individually ping them a couple times each. 3 for 4 more trys will tell you if PL is a problem, and if they are ok then add them to favs. After awhile you wont need to worry about searching for games If you notice that you have PL on most servers, then you should consider that you are the source of the PL, not some jenky link between you and a particular server.

I dont have ping/pl problems with most server cause I have 1.2Mbits/sec ADSL I can be more picky then just silly- ole ping.

Anyway, dont just filter by ping cause your gonna get alot of low pings w/ zero player servers and such, so us a player min/max filter, as well as filter for your type of games you like, and maps you want.. Gamespy is replete w/ so many filter/fav tools/tabs that you should be complaining about finding games, unless you have a really bad 28.8 connection, which is entirely different problem and no software, or extra "player server" will help you
"The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end"
Advertisement
Dean: As well, you can add a rule to your filter that contain variable values for "number of time pinged" which you can set to what you want as your filter, or "total average ping" and set that value as well. There are TONS of rules you can set so that you can specify EXACTLY what game you want.
"The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement