🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Problem with Dev-C++

Started by
1 comment, last by Caste 15 years, 8 months ago
I downloaded the available Dev-C++ cpp file and project file and I compiled it. Dev-C++ gave me no errors or warning messages and did in fact generate a .exe file. Unfortunately, when I launch the program, nothing happens. It appears to open and less than immediately close. I place a message box as the very first line in main and it never reaches that line. When I debug, I set the break point before the header files and it gives me this error: "Access Violation (Segmentation Fault)" I googled this problem and it says that it is either a problem associated with the allegro class or improperly made linked lists. Since these files have worked for other people, I don't think that is the problem. So it has been a few days, I have looked over to make sure that I have typed everything in perfect. I have tried to research and have come up with nothing. If anybody knows what my problem could be, I would appreciate the help. Now for some version issues: Dev-C++ 4.2.2.9 OpenGL 3.7.6 The first five lessons work perfectly fine, but at lesson seven I start having this problem, and every lesson after that. [Edited by - ratboy2713 on October 5, 2008 9:28:15 PM]
Advertisement
So I added code bit by bit and I think the problem lies in loading textures. I'm pretty sure that the LoadBMP() function is working properly, leaving the only addition to the code being LoadGLTextures().

The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to execute any part of the program, and it doesn't return one of the hundred error checking message boxes. It compiles just fine, but just will not run with textures.
Hmm thats weird. Are you sure your code can find the image files you're loading? Does the Dev-Cpp version of lesson 07 use GLaux? Because then you'll have to use lc_overlord's glaux replacement code as glaux should not be used any more (and the dll is not included any more I think - which might produce the error as DevCpp still has a valid library for linking).

And btw. OpenGL Version is probably not 3.7.6 as this does not exist, newest one is 3.0 but you're definitely not using that as you have to setup your window in another way. I'm currently working on a new NeHe tutorial for that.

-Carsten

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement