🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Im new and have a question

Started by
5 comments, last by jpetrie 15 years, 10 months ago
hey guys, im new to this community and i have a question. on sept 8th im going to start going to itt tech for video games design, i am so excited, but the only thing is i dont have a laptop and my question for yall is what is the best kind of laptop i need? thx in advance
Advertisement
Not to slam on your or anything, but it is a pet peeve of mine and several other people here when people don't bother to use any capitalization or choose to use any sort of chat speak. If you want to become a professional game developer you might as well start acting like a professional now. A lot of us want to maintain a professional yet fun atmosphere [wink]

More on topic, there is no best kind of laptop. You'll just want something that will fit your needs. You'll probably want something with a little better of a graphics chipset than a cheap integrated Intel setup. I wouldn't go with any less than 2 GB of RAM and preferably you'll get a Core 2 Duo. As far as what size of a laptop, that depends on how you're going to use it. Is it going to be a full desktop replacement? Get a 17" laptop. Do you want something that is a a lot easier to cart around (they do get heavy, after all) then don't go any bigger than a 15.4".
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I really don't want a heavy laptop. How heavy is a laptop with a 15.4" laptop? Also shouldn't I get an Amd Duel Core processor?
Quote: Original post by mrbananapants
I really don't want a heavy laptop. How heavy is a laptop with a 15.4" laptop? Also shouldn't I get an Amd Duel Core processor?

The weight is going to vary by brand and model. Hop onto some manufacturer's websites, such as Dell and Sager, and they'll list how heavy a laptop is. My Compaq Presario A916NR weighs 6.8 lbs, which is relatively light for a 17" notebook. I'd still look for something lighter than that if you're going to be hauling your laptop everywhere you go. It is also easier to find decent carrying bags for 15.4" and under.

As far as Intel Core 2 Duo vs AMD Dual Core? Whatever. Just get something dual core. I would say go quad core, but the price/performance ratio just isn't high enough yet.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Do not buy any laptop with a integrated intel graphics adaptor. It´s so bad...

Try to buy one with ATI or NVIDIA, that's my suggestion.

I have a similiar situation and I will buy a SONY VAIO NR or FZ because I like them (both with nvidia, but be careful, lower NR models have intel adaptor) and 15.4 is not too much heavy.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
The one thing I don't like about my laptop is that it has an Intel x3100 graphics chipset. It makes UT3 modding damn near impossible.
Moving this to Hardware.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement