🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

alpha channel in 32 bit surface (DD)

Started by
4 comments, last by alexmoura 24 years, 7 months ago
I am not exactly sure on this, however, I believe the bits go like RGBA not ARGB. Also Direct Draw doesn't suppot alpha channel blits yet, you would have to use D3D or write your own bitblt.

(someone could correct me on this as I am not positive.)

William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Advertisement
D3D uses ARGB textures.

Josh

DirectDraw in 32 bit seems to work in ARGB (well, at least ?RGB . I am filling the bits myself...
Grombit: Nope, you're right. DD doesn't support alpha-blending yet.

alexmoura: I'm pretty sure DD just ignores the high 8 bits in a 32-bit color. So, don't waste you're time wondering why your alpha-masked bitmap is coming in full color

- Splat

Hello. I've recentry been trying to blt 32 bit surfaces with alpha channel, to definetely eliminate non blt functions. Needless to say DD seems to ignore all my attempts. Could someone please tell me what do I need to do in order to get an alpha channel working? (with the alpha information in the pixels: ARGB) Thanks!
Well, just wanted to thank the answers. I've reverted to lock/unlock and value calculations on pointers, whenever it involves transparency... maybe in DX8?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement