🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Computer no longer boots - no POS, no video signal

Started by
11 comments, last by Jarrod1937 16 years, 1 month ago
Looking in your bios can you report what your ram voltage is set to?
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Advertisement
If it happens again, try shorting the pins on your motherboard that say "CMOS Reset," press the power button (nothing should happen), and then unshort it and turn it on.

Also check if your CMOS battery is still working right... The fact that it (possibly) got corrupted, and that unplugging it for a night caused it to work again (i.e. caused it to reset) tells me perhaps your battery simply died... The best way to tell is by looking at the system clock; if unplugging the computer for a few minutes causes the time and date to change, that's probably the problem, and the battery needs to be replaced.
Quote: Original post by kiwibonga
If it happens again, try shorting the pins on your motherboard that say "CMOS Reset," press the power button (nothing should happen), and then unshort it and turn it on.

Also check if your CMOS battery is still working right... The fact that it (possibly) got corrupted, and that unplugging it for a night caused it to work again (i.e. caused it to reset) tells me perhaps your battery simply died... The best way to tell is by looking at the system clock; if unplugging the computer for a few minutes causes the time and date to change, that's probably the problem, and the battery needs to be replaced.

For future reference you should not attempt to turn on the computer/press the power button with the pins shorted. Even if nothing happens (and nothing will), it is unneeded and may cause damaged to the cmos chip. The correct procedure is to turnoff the computer, unplug it, then short the two pins for at least 30 seconds using the jumper, then place the jumper back to its normal position, then turn on the computer. Providing power to the shorted pins can damage the motherboard and the cmos chip.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement