🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why are Conroe chips more expensive than Wolfdale chips?

Started by
2 comments, last by boolean 16 years, 1 month ago
I'm looking at getting a new PC when I reach Canada, but these new CPUs are confusing me. From what I understand, Intel was using the Conroe Core 2 Duo since mid 2006, and have now been replaced with the new Wolfdale Core 2 chips. What I don’t understand is why the Conroe chips running at 2.66GHz are selling for much higher than the 3.00GHz Wolfdale chips. 3.00Ghz Wolfdale - $199.99 2.66GHz Conroe - $243.99 Shouldn't the old Conroe chips be selling for much less now that they have been replaced? Why are they more expensive than the newer and better Wolfdale chips?
Advertisement
The Wolfdale's are slightly more expensive, but it seems TigerDirect has them on sale at the moment:

Conroe Price: $243.99
Wolfdale Original Price: $256.19
Maybe the Wolfdale chips is cheaper to manufacture?
Quote: Original post by Hodgman
The Wolfdale's are slightly more expensive, but it seems TigerDirect has them on sale at the moment:

Conroe Price: $243.99
Wolfdale Original Price: $256.19

You are correct, they do seem to be on sale. The strange thing is that quite a few people seem to have them on sale, as NCIX have them for $199 too. I wonder why the sudden price drop, it seems like a hell of a reduction.

I hope they stay at that level by the time I buy mine =/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement