🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

installed a new dual core but one of the cores is alway alot hotter

Started by
0 comments, last by Mathmo 16 years, 1 month ago
I'm starting to think I didn't get the heatsink on properly. 90% of my load when just serfing the next is all on core #1, core #2 barely gets above 2%. yet core #1's temp hovers around 26c and core #2 hovers around 37c? that 10 degrees hotter. I'd hate to see what its like when playing games. Also its useing the stock heatsink and fan with the stock thermal grease that came with it. I later purchased some artic silver and tried a dabb on my old cpu and it made a bit of a difference maybe 5c degrees cooler at idle. If this is common I'll leave it alone if not though I got one problem, how do I remove the heat sink from the cpu without ripping the cpu out attached to it. or is that whats supposed to happen. My old one did this to me and it bent one of the pins. Also how do you get the cpu off the heatsink at this point, once again on the old one I used a screwdriver to leverage it off. It still works mind you, but a buddy gave me this one almost brand new so I'd rather not hurt it.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Advertisement
That's a pretty common issue with the core2duo something to do with the temperature probes malfunctioning on the small dies, or the way that the programs used to calculate the temperature from the sensor data work. can't remember exactly, pretty sure i saw some threads about it on OCUK. try googling it, maybe you can find out some more. I remember someone had written a different utility for measuring the temps properly, but I can;t remember what it was called...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement