🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Clearing the backbuffer QUICK in DX7

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
No, I dont think there is a betterway then the blit color fill. Clearing the backbuffer is just inherintely slow because there is so much space to fill. The best advice I can give you is just to avoid screen clears.

--TheGoop

Advertisement
If you're targeting 3D accelerated computers, you could always try drawing a screen-sized polygon of the desired color.
What is the fastest was to clear the backbuffer? In the SDK documentation, it says the bltcolorfill is a "quick way to erase a background", but it shaved about 5 fps off my total in some tests. Is there a better way to do this?
This is all D3D-specific.

The quickest way should be the IDirect3DDevice7::Clear() method.

This is the preferred way of clearing the render target, so driver-writers will (or at least should) optimize this for their particular card.

Some cards have special rendertarget-clearing hardware, others use their triangle-rendering hardware to clear the backbuffer. Whichever is optimal for the hardware is what is probably implemented.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement