🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

large surface areas

Started by
1 comment, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 8 months ago
I definatly don't reccomend making a surface that big anyway (what a waste of space!), but I believe you can do it as long as you create it in system memory instead of video memory.

Thats just based off memory though, and I've never tried to create a surface that big! If that doesn't work try and split your surface into a few smaller ones.

--TheGoop

Advertisement
Hello all.

I am attempting to create a surface that is bigger than the main direct draw object, so I can scroll the window around. It is not much bigger (128 pixels wider and higher), so it fits in memory - the problem is (i am pretty sure) that I can't make a surface bigger than the primary surface.

I think I can use a seperate DDraw object, but what do I do with cooperative levels etc?

Is there a way to make a larger surface than the primary "interface"?

Or maybe I'm just lost...

Thanks,

Older Versions of IDirecDrawN did not allow you to create larger Surface, but nowadays these larger Surfaces should be supported on most video cards and are usable with the newer IDirectDraw interfaces.
There could be some (very) old video cards that don't allow wide surfaces. You are also able to disable the wide Surfaces in the DirectDraw Driver ->DirectXSDK.

Aidan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement