🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about upgrading to XP

Started by
1 comment, last by Tha General 16 years, 9 months ago
I am using windows98se, and its a known fact that windows98se runs games , the older ones with ease, but i wanted to know, if i would buy a xp disc, install over windows98se, is this really a good upgrade? Also can you really switch back and forth to play older games with ease on xp, what i mean is, are you sure i wont have any problem? I have windowsxp, me & my wife use it for business only. But i am really seriously thinking about upgrading from windows98se, to XP , instead of buying a whole new computer. I do plan to buy a new super xp computer tho, but i didnt want to get rid of my tower which i am using now, so i was thinking about upgrading to XP.
Advertisement
I have never had a problem running a program myself, but XP can run programs in compatibility mode for earlier versions of Windows, allowing you to select the version.

If you get XP, right click the exe and hit properties, then compatibility tab and you'll see the option. Windows 95, 98/ME, 2000, NT 4.0 are the options.

The main problem you might have with running XP would be meeting the requirements for the larger OS with an older system. It would probably be worth upgrading your PC since you can get very cheap computers nowadays, $400, assuming you keep your monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, speakers, etc.
Quote: Original post by rpreller

The main problem you might have with running XP would be meeting the requirements for the larger OS with an older system. It would probably be worth upgrading your PC since you can get very cheap computers nowadays, $400, assuming you keep your monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables, speakers, etc.

The requirements for windowsxp is not a problem. These are my specs at the moment for windows98se:

PIII, 600MHZ
Soundblaster Sound Card
80GB
DVD Combo Drive
Intel application accelerator 2.3
512Megs of Ram
3DFuzion/BFG Geforce 5500 256MB PCI card
Intel CPU, i only have PCI Slots
90 Watts PSU

As you can see, i can run windowsXP with ease. Right?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement