🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Moving external HD while it runs

Started by
3 comments, last by Lode 16 years, 9 months ago
How much movement can a regular hard disk mounted in an external enclosure handle, if the hard disk is spinning at 7200RPM while that happens? E.g. if the enclosure would be standing up, and it falls on its side, would the hard disk be damaged? If someone picks up the enclosure while the hard disk is running, and rotates it in several directions, causing the gyroscopic force due to the spinning disk to work against it, would that harm the disk? I can imagine it's bad, but how bad?
Advertisement
Does the case have any shock absorvers? This would greatly reduce the forces of the impact(by increasing its duration), especially if we 're talking about a wooden desk..
It's not great, but I have drives that have survived that exact event.

You might want to go for a laptop drive that has G force protection -- they park the heads when they sense a difference in local gravity.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote: Original post by Lode
How much movement can a regular hard disk mounted in an external enclosure handle, if the hard disk is spinning at 7200RPM while that happens?

E.g. if the enclosure would be standing up, and it falls on its side, would the hard disk be damaged?

If someone picks up the enclosure while the hard disk is running, and rotates it in several directions, causing the gyroscopic force due to the spinning disk to work against it, would that harm the disk?

I can imagine it's bad, but how bad?

Pretty much it takes hard shocks to damage it. The head floats on an air barrier that is actually pretty hard of the head to penetrate. You should be able to change the orientation of the drive with no problems.

theTroll

What I'm most worried about is if it'll wear out the bearings of the spinning disk or motor, since maybe they aren't made for such sideways forces?

I think I'll always put the enclosure flat instead of standing up, when it stands up it's just too easy to bump it or having someone pick it up while it runs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement