🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Buying a new laptop, need help :)

Started by
-1 comments, last by arc4nis 16 years, 10 months ago
College time, and I finally got the money to buy a laptop :) I live in Croatia, the choice isnt so big here, but I found a laptop that I'm willing to buy in the local pc store, the: Toshiba P200-16V Satellite for 1300 eur the specs are: CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo procesor T7100 1.8 GHz GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 256 MB dedicated HDD: 160 GB Serial ATA RAM: 2GB (1GB + 1 GB) DDR2 RAM (667MHz) Screen: 17'' TruBrite WXGA+ TFT screen .. resolution: 1440 x 900 etc... link: http://www.vemil.hr/opis.aspx?prikaziTemplate=0&Sifra=5500084 (warning, my firefox crashes the entire comp when clicking on the link -_-) I'm forced to buy a laptop for the college, I prefer desktop comps :D I use the comp mainly for programming games, and now I will need it for college. I have 2 questions about this laptop... 1) The ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 is able to support directx10 fully or is that just propaganda on the ati website? (even if I dont intend using vista I would still like a DX10 card) 2) The most important thing, I'm planning to install win xp, (I dont want to even try vista for now), however during the installation it seems that win xp doesnt recognize SATA HDD, on my current comp I solved the problem with manufacture drivers that I copied on a floppy disk and used during the installation (you know, the "press f6 if you need additional..." when installing xp), however the laptop doesnt have a FDD, and even then I would still need to find the correct drivers. So, how do I install xp on a SATA HDD without a FDD and the right drivers? (the laptop comes with vista already installed). Any help is welcome :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement