🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help a newbie (coder!) w/ texture mapping? :)

Started by
2 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 2 months ago
"Look, it''s a coder! Get him!!!!" Hey all. I''m trying to figure out how to do texture mapping for the 3D models I''ve made. What I''d really like to find is a cool program that takes a mesh and shows me how to unwrap it. Failing that, a tutorial would be great. Can anyone point a newbie to some good resources? Thx! (btw, mostly trying to texture mechanical objects like space stations and starships) -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
Jeff Lander from Darwin 3D has written some articles about texture mapping for Game Developer magazine. It doesn''t look like the articles are on the web though. I don''t think he specifically wrote about unwrapping, but I''m sure the information will be helpful.

September 2000: 3D Painting
October 2000: Texture Mapping Methods

Game Developer has the code available though.
http://www.gdmag.com/code.htm

The 3D painting code has been revised throughout a few issues.

Good luck.

--
Todd
http://www.3dcgi.com/
Hey Wavinator Quite a surprise to see you out of the Game Design forum !

There is a few softwares out there that allows just what you seem to ask for : you take a model, and you paint on it. Quite litterraly.
My first encounter with such software was NPHerno, that I used to do my Quake2 skins. It would take a Quake model and allow you to "unskin" it on a 2D surface, to allow you to paint it. But it would also allow you to paint straight onto the 3D model (damn useful when you are trying to do a straight line, or other geometric shapes, or text).
There is another big one now, I think it''s called 3DPaint ?
It works on the same principle, except that it''s a commercial product, hence it offers a tremendous number of features.

I assume that when you refer to "texture mapping", you mean "skinning". Otherwise you would have to talk to coders, but I dont think, with OpenGL and DirectX out there, that would be too difficult (if you are a coder, that is )

If you need more details, well, ask !

youpla :-P

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Just wanted to say thanks, guys. "Skinning" is what I meant. I also found a cool little utility called "UV Mapper" that will make a 2D texture map that you can paint on then wrap around your model.

Thx!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement