🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Building a Gaming Computer

Started by
30 comments, last by Nytegard 16 years, 9 months ago
**Building my own gaming computer for the very first time** GOAL: I want to build a good gaming computer from the case up. It must be able to run the newest graphic-intensive games with little to no problems. For example, in Battlefield 2142, I want to be able to turn all the video and sound settings to at least medium. High would be nice, but as long as nothing’s on low I’ll be happy. I’d like my computer to be SLI ready even though I may not take advantage of the dual video cards right away. Not sure. SHOPPING LIST: Highly ventilated full-tower case Power supply (600+ watts) Motherboard Processor Hard drive Floppy/CD/DVD drives Memory modules Sound Card Video Card Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor MY THOUGHTS WITH LIMITED KNOWLEDGE: I think I should go with a full-tower case for adequate room for ventilation and expansion. I think some of those cases with the see-thru side panels are pretty neat. That must help you keep an eye on the fans and dust build-up. Also, the ones with ventilated sides seem like a good choice. I guess my power supply will depend on the requirements of my processor and video card. I can’t definitely decide on how many watts I’ll need until I know what other hardware I’ll be getting. I’m guessing it’ll be between 600 and 700 watts (?). Plus, I’ll have to make sure it has all the appropriate connections. From my motherboard, I want 4 slots for ram with a maximum capacity of 8 Gigs (for future readiness). It should support SLI and PCI-E. If it had whatever extra slot necessary for a physics card, that’d be nice. I’m not sure if the mobo/processor needs to specifically support one of those, or if I simply need an extra PCI-E slot. For the processor, I was thinking Core 2 Duo. Not much thought behind that, but it’s what I’m using now. I’m going to start off with 4 Gigs of ram. I’m kind of clueless when it comes to the video card. I think it should have 512MB (flexible) on-board and support for SLI. I was looking at the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS and 7950 GT cards, as well as the ATI Radeon X1950 PRO. I’m obviously going to have to do a lot more research before choosing a card. I’m pretty much good to go with the rest of the things on my list. It’s the ones mentioned above that I’m going to need help with. Now of course I’m not planning to go out and just start buying stuff tomorrow. I just want to start looking into this now, so in a couple of months I can get building. FEEDBACK: Please only reply with at least somewhat helpful insight. I’m looking for the following types of feedback: 1. Suggested products with a reason why you think they’d suit my needs 2. Reasons why my needs/wants might conflict with one another and possible solutions 3. Your own lessons learned from building your own computers (help me from learning everything the hard way) 4. Any questions about what I want that I didn’t specify in this post
Advertisement
We've got a hardware forum for this sort of thing now, but a mod will move it there for you I'm sure.

The 8800GTS is an excellent card if you can splurge on it. I was looking at a 7900GS recently for a cheap lower end deal but they ran out of stock so I went with a very low-end 320MB EVGA 8800GTS instead ($300CDN). I can run Oblivion on full detail now (and that is still, AFAIK, the hardest game to run out there due to its terrible optimization). Bioshock on full detail without slowdown is nice too. If you get an EVGA or XFX you can overclock it without voiding the warranty and they do overclock well.

The 7950GT is way overpriced now as it won't outperform the 8800GTS which may even be cheaper in some cases. You also won't get DX10 support (not that it matters much with 10.1 on the way).

The fast Core 2 Duo's have dropped in price a ton, and they perform amazingly well. No question you should get one. The only other real option is to pay more and get a quad core, if you feel that's actually necessary (probably isn't).
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Quote: Original post by LockePick
We've got a hardware forum for this sort of thing now, but a mod will move it there for you I'm sure.
I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by LockePick
I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about...

Doh!

Quote: The 8800GTS is an excellent card if you can splurge on it. I was looking at a 7900GS recently for a cheap lower end deal but they ran out of stock so I went with a very low-end 320MB EVGA 8800GTS instead ($300CDN). I can run Oblivion on full detail now (and that is still, AFAIK, the hardest game to run out there due to its terrible optimization). Bioshock on full detail without slowdown is nice too. If you get an EVGA or XFX you can overclock it without voiding the warranty and they do overclock well.

Cool. Good to know. I've never even tried OCing before, but good to know.

Quote: The fast Core 2 Duo's have dropped in price a ton, and they perform amazingly well. No question you should get one. The only other real option is to pay more and get a quad core, if you feel that's actually necessary (probably isn't).

Yeah, I probably don't need the quad core at this time.
Thank you for your response.

Has anyone tried an NVIDIA mobo? Sure looks nice. If so, have you had any difficulties with them?
A few thoughts, from experience... I take it cost isn't a huge issue, from the specs you suggested?

Hard Drives
For the latest games, I would recommend a *very* fast hard drive for your primary, probably a fairly low-capacity 10,000+ RPM. Then you can put a huge but slower drive in for storage concerns (probably only a 7200 RPM, in the half terabyte range).

Display
Everyone has their own favourite screens, but unless you are going to splurge on one of Apple's beautiful HD Cinema displays, I would very highly recommend Samsung's 22" widescreen LCD (model # 226CW). It has a 2ms response, 3000:1 contrast, and is generally a wonderful monitor. The display is very crisp, and colour definition is very good.

Mouse
Again, for the latest games, I cannot stress this enough: get a Laser mouse. After using an optical mouse for years, the difference is incredible - the movement is enough smoother and more precise that it noticeably improves any FPS or similar that requires precision aiming.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote: Original post by swiftcoder
Hard Drives
For the latest games, I would recommend a *very* fast hard drive for your primary, probably a fairly low-capacity 10,000+ RPM. Then you can put a huge but slower drive in for storage concerns (probably only a 7200 RPM, in the half terabyte range).

Is this primarily for improving loading times? Thanks for your reply.
Here is what I have, and LOVE it

Intel C2D e6600
Intel MB Bad Axe 2 975x chipset
Mushkin 6GB DDR2 800 1.8v <-important
2x Raptor 10k 16mb HDs
Xfi Gamer extreme
SATA DVD drive
Coolermaster 830 case Black best case I have ever owned bar none
BFG 8800GTS 640mb OC edition
Vista 64 ultimate
Antec 650watt PS

Smooth as butter, fast and quiet!!!

I would get either the quad core 2.4ghz model, and stay away from ddr3 unless you have the money to burn.

As of now the new cpus are only at best 5% faster than the 1066fsb chips. Is the price difference worth it? Only you can answer that. And I have NO issues with Vista like some people say....

edit oops I juse seen you want SLI

well MB wise Asus or MSI are great MBs. I would get a PC Power and cooling PS at least 750-850watts if you are running SLI to get rid of system instability.
Quote: Original post by slowmike
Has anyone tried an NVIDIA mobo? Sure looks nice. If so, have you had any difficulties with them?

I just bought this mobo 2 weeks ago and i have no probs whatsoever.
Quote: Original post by MARS_999

Intel C2D e6600
2x Raptor 10k 16mb HDs
Xfi Gamer extreme
SATA DVD drive
Vista 64 ultimate
Antec 650watt PS

I would get either the quad core 2.4ghz model, and stay away from ddr3 unless you have the money to burn.

As of now the new cpus are only at best 5% faster than the 1066fsb chips. Is the price difference worth it? Only you can answer that. And I have NO issues with Vista like some people say....

well MB wise Asus or MSI are great MBs. I would get a PC Power and cooling PS at least 750-850watts if you are running SLI to get rid of system instability.

How much did that cost ya not counting vista ultimate? I'm planning to build sometime in a few months. Sounds like a sexy rig, 6 gigs of ram, wow.
Quote: Original post by brandonman
Quote: Original post by MARS_999

Intel C2D e6600
2x Raptor 10k 16mb HDs
Xfi Gamer extreme
SATA DVD drive
Vista 64 ultimate
Antec 650watt PS

How much did that cost ya not counting vista ultimate? I'm planning to build sometime in a few months. Sounds like a sexy rig, 6 gigs of ram, wow.

I have a similar machine with an upgraded power supply and processor, and only 4 GB of RAM, and it came to ~$2400.

One thing to take into consideration. PCI Express 2.0 is coming out in October, and the upcoming NVidia and ATI cards will be taking advantage of it. Unfortunately, the price to pay is that the motherboards will also only run on DDR3 memory, although there will be a few mb's which will run on DDR2.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement