🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Laptop w/ Good Graphics card

Started by
11 comments, last by instinKt 16 years, 10 months ago
I want to buy a laptop to program on, so I want it to have a good graphics card (dedicated) This site lists GeForce Go 7800 / 7900 and ATI Mobility Radeon x1800 as the best options ( i think ), but its over a year old. Can someone give me some good leads on laptops with great graphics cards (and good everything-else, for that matter)? I'd like to only spend ~1000 at most, but I'd like to just see what options are out there before I make up my mind on that. TigerDirect, my favorite site, didn't seem to have anything but the lowest end graphics card laptops.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Funkymunky
Can someone give me some good leads on laptops with great graphics cards (and good everything-else, for that matter)?

I'd like to only spend ~1000 at most

Those two requests are not compatible. If you want one of the cards you've selected, you're looking at a desktop replacement laptop which will run you between 2-3 thousand.

I really love my new thinkpad T61. I just got the NVidia Quaddro card. You can get the ATI Fire GL cards for the T61s as well. They offer the slicker cards on the desktop replacement machines (don't remember the model)

Thinkpads are pretty dope reliability wise.

In general, I tend to go with light and portable for laptops and save beefy and strong for my desktop. The first couple times you have to carry a beefy laptop in a backpack you get sad really fast, they're heavy and loud and hot. =)

-me
I want to buy a laptop to program on, so I want it to have a good graphics card (dedicated) This site lists GeForce Go 7800 / 7900 and ATI Mobility Radeon x1800 as the best options ( i think ), but its over a year old.

Heh, I was in that same situation a couple of months ago when I went out for a new notebook (I used this list by the way). And I noticed, like Palidine said, you'll have to get one of those desktop replacement beasts to get a decent video card with it. I finally settled for a 900 euro laptop with a Mobility Radeon X1300. It not too impressive, but I'll have my laptop from work and an additional desktop for serious work, so I'll be alright. :)
http://www.gotapex.com/

I've found this website to be priceless when it comes to looking for good deals on notebooks. If you're patient, you can wait for a Dell Inspiron XPS (or something similar) to show up here with a monstrous graphics card and a good discount.

There are two main things though. First, I doubt you'll be able to get a notebook that powerful in the $1000 range. If you're willing to go to $1400-$1600, you can probably fly it. Secondly, what Paladine said is correct. Any notebook with a mighty mighty graphics card will be a desktop replacement, which means it's going to be huge, heavy, and run really hot. I don't think that's a massive problem - I've been using a notebook like that for the last 3 years, and I've gotten used to the weight. However, it has gotten really cumbersome and I'm going with a smaller notebook for my next one. (Which just arrived yesterday, incidentally). If you want to keep costs down on a notebook, you're going to need to compromise some feature (usually horsepower or size).

Hope this helps!
Check the buy and sell. I picked up a nice toshiba with a GeForce Go 6600 card for around 600 bucks. I haven't had any problems with it and actually prefer it to my desktop as my regular machine. I enjoy the ease of use of being able to work anywhere in my place with it.
It (the laptop) will probably cost more than $1000, but I guess one of the best gfx cards you can get at the moment is a GeForce 8700M GT. Yes, it's a DX10 card [smile]
Best regards, Omid
I've got an Asus G1 and love it so far. The G1S is the newest model.

Asus G1s

2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB Ram
GeForce 8600M GT
160GB 5400rpm
$1,800
Quote: Original post by Dancin_Fool
Check the buy and sell. I picked up a nice toshiba with a GeForce Go 6600 card for around 600 bucks.

what buy and sell?
This is the best I can find. Anyone able to beat that / offer a rebuttal?
I bought a vostro 1500 and it has more than plenty performance with a high build quality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement