🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Geforce 7600GT vs Geforce 8400GS

Started by
9 comments, last by Lode 16 years, 10 months ago
I'm currently using a Geforce 7600GT in my desktop at home (which I use for gaming and gamedev) and have been offered a Geforce 8400GS in work. Since the 8400 is a DirectX 10 card, I'm considering using that instead, but I don't know how it compares to my current card performance wise. Both cards seem to be worth almost the same now. It would seem that the 7600 is faster though, am I correct? Would it be worth using the 8400 or stick with the 7600 until I get a chance to purchase something more powerful? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
GT is faster than GS, Nvidia honors this tradition in case of minor update of 7xxx to 8xxx.
8400 was created mainly for accelerated video, NOT gamming.
Ah, ok, thanks! Looks like I can let one of the others take it, so.
The 8400 and 8500 are budget cards not intended for gaming. Get at least an 8600 or 8800 (preferably 8800, they're cheap now).

Moving to hardware.
Quote: Original post by Ravuya
The 8400 and 8500 are budget cards not intended for gaming. Get at least an 8600 or 8800 (preferably 8800, they're cheap now).

Moving to hardware.

Really? The prices I see online all have the 8800 marked at > 250 USD.

Quote: Original post by kevtimc
Quote: Original post by Ravuya

Moving to hardware.

Really? The prices I see online all have the 8800 marked at > 250 USD.

Considering they were much more when they first came out, 250 USD really isn't all that bad for an 8800. Depending on what model you get, you can probably find them cheaper than that.
The cheapest card with an 8800 series GPU on newegg is still $249.99.

I've had my eye on this beastie for quite some time now, but it's not budging.

I currently have a single 7600GT, and it doesn't quite cut it for me. I'd consider dropping in a second in SLI mode, but I understand that's not entirely possible with an Intel D975XBX board.
8400gs and 8600gs/gt are garbage. The 8600gts doesn't really go much farther, it matches up with a 7900gs most of the time.

Go with a 8800gts 320MB. They're not necessarily really all that cheap, Newegg's cheapest is 280$ - yes, there *is* a 30$ rebate on it which'll bring it to 250$, but you can never rely on a rebate to make something fit into your budget. I just got that one, in fact; it's a pretty XFX model. I was debating between it and EVGA's which was 10$ more, but I like XFX better (XFX and EVGA are the way to go for NVidia - some others are good, too, but these two are the "kings").

@ Matt328: Why that when it's 30$ more than the XFX and 20$ more than the EVGA? Sure, it's factory OCed, but all that means is that you're paying extra bucks for the company to do something you can easily do yourself. And if you're scared you'll break it ([grin]), then make sure you get an XFX - they repair even if you OCed it.
Quote: Original post by Matt328
The cheapest card with an 8800 series GPU on newegg is still $249.99.

My mistake. I guess I was thinking of the 8600 series.

The 8400 will run DX10 code, that the 7600 won't. However, that requires that you're running Windows Vista, and an application that uses DX10. And, even if you were, chances are that that application would also work fine (with slightly fewer features) with DX9.

The 8400 is a 64-bit graphics chip (memory bus). The 7600 is a 128-bit graphics chip. Even though the 7600 is older, it's still faster for gaming graphics.

If you can hold off for another half year, you'd probably be looking at getting a DX10.1 card, btw. Don't buy something now unless you absolutely have to! (That's always the case)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement