🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question About Server Hardware

Started by
-1 comments, last by violentcrayon 16 years, 10 months ago
Hello again GameDev. First off, I love this place. Second, thank you all for being an active and fun community. :) So...I need to build a server. Why?
  • Web server - host my blog, programs, etc...
  • Development backup - host all my development assets, including source, images, etc...
Not a long list, but that's just basic stuff. More detail, ya know...but not really that important. The server will be low-traffic (more than likely), and will mainly consist of people visiting my development blog and downloading stuff from there, including tutorials and source code. I will also be backing up all of my development files to the server every time something is altered in case of a system crash. Certain other files may be stored there, such as drivers or other things I think my friends might find useful. I also might host the website of certain friends. So here are some things I thought about...
  • Should have 2 harddrives for RAID 1...at least 200GB+
  • Dual CPU at least Athlon 1800+ or Intel 1.8Ghz+ to handle moderate loads
  • At least 1GB RAM
Is this an acceptable hardware list for my intentions? Or should I go above? I was thinking of getting a Tyan Dual Athlon MP board with at least Athlon MP 1800+ and 2x 512MB RAM. Also, the OS will be Linux. Whether or not I will use the GUI is yet to be determined, though I don't plan on it. If you need any more information to help evaluate my situation, I'd be more than happy to provide it. Thanks!
http://neolithic.exofire.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement