🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

KVM Switches

Started by
2 comments, last by DaBono 16 years, 11 months ago
Hey guys, maybe you have some advice on this. So I have a Mac and a PC and I would like to hook them up using a KVM Switch. But I heard that some KVM switches can give bad performance in games. Have you guys used them at all and in games in XP? I took a quick look at them on Newegg but they all seem to be either USB or PS/2, not both (I have a keyboard with a PS/2 connector and a USB mouse). Is it safe to assume that there are no combo ones? Also, using the adapter to turn the PS/2 keyboard into a USB results in poor performance in a game (keys can't "chord" or be hit simultaneously. It's really bad in a FPS game). What do you guys think? I'm willing to buy a new keyboard, so that isn't an issue. I just want a KVM Switch that doesn't hinder playability in games. [smile]
Advertisement
The only problem I've ever had with a KVM and games is the toggle keyboard command. On my old KVM, hitting the ctrl key twice would switch computers. It was really annoying.
i have a linksys kvm with ps2. Get a usb to ps2 for your mouse. Works fine for me and I had no problem with games. You might have problems with bios if you have a usb keyboard.
I use a KVM switch daily, without ever noticing a hit on performance. I cannot see how it could impact performance even, unless it's totally crappy.
One thing, as smr already hinted at: check if the switch-command is anything you might use while playing. I've seen things like Ctrl-F1 switch keyboards, which can be quite annoying. Ours uses Scroll-lock, Scroll-lock, Number, which is near impossible to type accidentally.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement