🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Career As PC Game Level Designer Question

Started by
4 comments, last by Da Terminator2001 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi i recently post this in Abandongames Forum and a member suggested that i post it here in this forum so here: I been thinking for my future job it might be a PC Game Level Designer, Does anyone know or know any website where info ( future outlook, the requirement for the job, responsibilities and of course the salary for this job are posted? Thanks in advanced. The World Is Yours ~ Tony Montana I''''ll Be Back ~ The Terminator
The World Is Yours ~ Tony MontanaI''ll Be Back ~ The Terminator
Advertisement
AFAIK the only requirement for such a job is to be good at it, in other words, have a lot of very popular maps and levels to your credit when you apply for jobs.
My boss says that really good level designers are extremely hard to find, so I think its a bit of a meritocracy.

http://www.positech.co.uk
Thanks cliffski, do you know the approximate salary for a level designer would be? or the minimum?

The World Is Yours ~ Tony Montana
I''''ll Be Back ~ The Terminator
Well thanks anyway for your post!

It is a little difficult to give figures because it depends on the size of the company etc. In the UK it can be anywhere from 15-18k upwards. In the US that would probably equal $20k upwards.

It starts low as level design is seen as an entry level job. If the levels are great you go up in the world but if not they end up on the cutting room floor (and you along with them).

Many level designers start out doing it for nothing (making Quake/HL/CS/Unreal) maps and attract attention that results in a job offer.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Okay thanks for the post everyone.

Read My Opendiary Where All Notes Are Welcome.
Check Out
Gamer127''s Bulletin Board Where Games Download & Varieties Of Bulletin Board Are Offer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement