🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to detect if OpenGL rendering in Software

Started by
1 comment, last by Jon Alma 17 years, 8 months ago
I'm currently creating some logging code to record simple things like the frame rate and so on. One thing I'd like to do is keep a record of whether OpenGL is rendering using the graphics card or is (for whatever reason) rendering in software. Is there any way of detecting this? Thanks for your help, Jon.
Jon.
IIRC about the best you can do is log the values returned from glGet with GL_VENDOR and GL_RENDERER. If you're on windows and end up in software mode these tend to read something like "microsoft" and "GDI Generic" respectivly.

Of course this doesn't help you if a particular implementation is doing a software fallback for just a subsection of the entire pipeline.
Quote: Original post by OrangyTang
IIRC about the best you can do is log the values returned from glGet with GL_VENDOR and GL_RENDERER. If you're on windows and end up in software mode these tend to read something like "microsoft" and "GDI Generic" respectivly.

Of course this doesn't help you if a particular implementation is doing a software fallback for just a subsection of the entire pipeline.

Many thanks - exactly the info I was after.
Jon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement