🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Publishers!!!

Started by
12 comments, last by darkelf 23 years, 3 months ago
Does anyone have or know where I can get a list of publishers? And what kinda info do I send them when I''m trying to sell my game (eg: pictures, demos, previews, etc)???
Advertisement
i think its gameweek.com or gamedaily.com that has a big long list of em

http://www.positech.co.uk
This list is bigger:
http://www.gamezone.com/publinks/company.asp
As for what to send them:

- Brief spec (with storyboards, sketches etc) outlining what the game is, what it does, why its different, who will play it etc.

- Playable demo if possible, showing the core gameplay idea and any technology you have.

- Details of any experience you/your team/your company has the area of making games and other commercial software (your track record).

Just think of what things you''d want to see if someone was asking *you* to spend 2 million on their product - you''d need convincing that the game would make them money and that the people making the game were competent enough to produce a quality product within budget and timescale.

E-mail them first to find out their submissions procedure before sending any of the above though - many will want you to sign a contract which will protect them from any future claims that they stole your idea and will protect you (to some degree) against them doing it.

Generally, its a difficult time in the industry at the moment (format transition and the stock markets are hostile towards technology companies after being burnt by the .com failures), so its harder than ever to sell a game.
If your team doesn''t have a track record of published products you''ll find it very hard to get them to pay you any notice unless you have a really exceptional demo.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
http://www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Hello

Does anyone know of any Australian based publishers?

Thanks

Paul
About the only one is Beam (used to be Melbourne House).
I think there may be some Australian offices of companies like Ubisoft and Infogrames, but you''d still have to deal with the European/US offices for actual publishing deals for your own software.
Which country a publisher is located in is largely unimportant though - what matters is whether they''re going to sell your game well enough and if it fits within their product range.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

"About the only one is Beam (used to be Melbourne House)"

They''re not a publisher - they''re a wholly owned development house for Infogrames.

I''ve heard that Activision are interested in Australian developers also EA have apparently set something up as well. Getting in contact with Microforte may help because they seem into getting Australian Developers published. But not they are not a publisher just a developer, and they might be able to recommend you to a publisher.
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
Just for interests sake, any publisher looking for South African developers then?
I was thinking of developing the game and then going to a publisher, atleast for this first game. On the ones after that I would probably want a sponsor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement