🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Serial Communication in Open GL

Started by
5 comments, last by lc_overlord 17 years, 9 months ago
Hey All: I am intrested in adding serial communication to OpenGL application. It is a basic RS232 that needs to communicate to my PC. Has anyone done this or have any code examples to help me out! Am new to OpenGL! Thanks so much!
Advertisement
That is a strange combination, you made me curious. I'm no OpenGL wiz, but I doubt that it supports serial communication. You probably have to use the functions your OS provides you.
OpenGL is a graphics APi and nothing to do with serial comms. You'll need another class to handle the serial comms.

What is your platform?
why just don't look for standard rs232 communication and puta opengl layer over it, or the other way round.
if your app is designed well, it should be modular enought to support any visualisation and it shouldn't be a problem
++++[>+++++<-]<-]>++++++[>++++++<-]<<++++++++++++++++.-------------.---.>>----.<<-.++++++++++++++++++.--------------------.+.
hey All:

So I am using Visual Studio.net (Windows XP) for this OpenGL application that I created its a 3D box, and I want to be able to move it with a joystick. How would I go about doing this. I am new to OpenGL so I am not sure. I know I can create the serial communication with C++ but can I use both the OpenGL API and then write in C++. Just not sure how to set it up and get started. Any help would be much appreciated.
use directinput.
SDL also preforms these services.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement