🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Frame rate

Started by
15 comments, last by Qoy 24 years, 7 months ago
Have you tried running it through the profiler to see what is occupying the majority of your execution time?
Advertisement
If you sent me the code i could have a look at it,im familiar with that library as well.Thou i don't use it. Otherwise what resolution is your game and what depth im guessing 8bit with that lib.
Ohh i forgot my email is lordvar@in-tch.com if you want to send me it to take a look. Also whats up with the new status? Im not use to seeing me as a guru.
I think the Guru thing comes from 50+ posts

(Which is dead silly, since 50 stupid questions (or answers for that matter) doesn't really make anyone much of a Guru, )

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
A thing to check is to make sure you compiled the program in RELEASE mode. The other thing to check is if you are using the Debug Runtime DirectX files - that will slow you down as well.
The Dummies book is good, but it forgets some stuff. Have you looked where your surfaces a placed. If you have an old computer (P120) I recommend that you take the primary buffer in the Vram and the secondary and offscreen surfaces in system memory. If you have it in any other way will it become slow.
By the way don't use FLIP if you only got a primary and a backbuffer. It is SLOW use bltfast instead.
And see if you can update pieces of the screen instead of the entire screen.
Is your game in a Window or full screen?
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

Macke I belive you are incorrect about flipping. Flipping is almost always faster then bliting. Reason being because flip just exchanges pointers to the surface ,and doesn't have to copy all the information from the one surface to the other. Only reason it might be slower is because it normaly waits for the vsync before flipping. However you can tell it not to do this. Also as a final point even if flip isnt supported in the hardware it acts as a bltfast then.
The game is full screen. I don't have it in release mode, but I don't think having no optomizations is an excuse for code this slow... I have to work on the speed in the code. I keep telling myself to put the surfaces in VRAM, but I also keep forgetting to. I do have the primary surface in VRAM though... I am using the standard (not debug) DirectX runtime libs.
Is there anything special I should try that would make it considerable faster?

------------------
http://qoy.tripod.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement